So what do I need to do to be band-worthy?

phaeton

• Members

Let's assume I:

1) have a solid and reliable bass guitar and amplifier setup. Include a backup or two if it makes you happy.

2) am dedicated or at least responsible enough to show up at all the practice sessions sober and actually practice, excluding normal mon-fri 9-5 workweeks.

3) am willing to give up weekend nights to show up at some place and do a gig.

4) have reliable transportation to and from everything.

5) have been playing bass for less than a year, but if you hand me a CD of 20 songs (covers, originals no matter) I could have some of it down fairly solid by the next practice session, and all of it dead-nuts tight by the end of the month.

6) am over 30 and not RockStar Hot.

7) like many types of music, especially in the ginormous rock category, with 'hard' and 'metal' causing enthusiasm.

8) occasionally write songs myself.

9) cannot sight-read music, but I'm working on just reading music.

10) drink beer but don't want to be around people who smoke weed or do any other drugs.

15) Played guitar off and on for 20 years.

16) have a girlfriend and isn't so interested in groupies or anything

17) refuse to play death metal, nu-metal or 90s style grunge...

..... could I start answering ads for "need a bass player for rock band/80s band/hard rock band/[insert decent band] tribute band" type ads? What does it take to be band-worthy or gig-worthy? I don't know a whole catalogue of songs in any category, but I am confident I can learn stuff quickly enough to be effective, given some time to practice it out on my own. I haven't played a gig since the mid-1990s. Hopefully things have changed.

Any responses welcome.

• Members

Yes you could answer an add for bass player needed. But you might not get the gig,you'll just have to keep trying till you hit on a group that feels your a fit for them could be the first one or it could be 10 down the road or anywhere in between.I've been playing in cover and original band on and off for 35+ yrs and found that as much chemistry within the band as much as can you play the music.

• Members

sounds pretty decent to me. i'm pretty much the same way and can find bands. i think that it might be easier for you because i am not willing to do metal and for some retarded reason, almost everyone that plays an instrument around here is into metal :confused::mad:

start answering ads and put one up for yourself. be honest and understand that you are going to get some crazy people answering your ad.

• Members

1. Watcha got?

2. Will you rehearse weeknights? Most bands do this.

3. Thats got to be a given, but are you willing to gig on a weeknight if the opportunity arises?

4. Good! :thu:

5. If you can play, thats cool but if you've only been playing for about a year, some seasoned muso's are going to be sceptical about your ability right off the bat. I wouldn't advertise this unless asked, and just get in the studio and blow them away with your ability.

6. Not many of us over 30 are rockstar hot, but just do the best with what you've got.

7. You get my vote if "Hard" and "Metal" cause enthusiasm! :thu:

8. Good, keep it up!

9. I can't sight read music either and in most situations it's not important unless the band you're trying out for demands it or you're attempting to become a session muso.

10. Beer is good, but in music sometimes you have to develop a little tolerance for what other people do / take. My thoughts are as long as what they drink/take/smoke doesn't end up affecting their performance and wasting everyone elses time then it's fine. Cross that line though and the offending band member needs to evaluate whats more important to them, being in the band or sitting around getting whacked?

15. Bass is NOT guitar.

16. Do you mean your girlfriend isn't interested in groupies or you. If her, she ain't no fun! If you.....yeah OK life won't be worth living when you get home if you are into them.

17. Never say Never. If the majority of you band want to include 1 or 2 songs in the set that fit these genres and you're going to dig your heels in then you'll probably find that they find excuses to be done with you.

By all means start answering adds for bassplayer wanted. The more people you play with the better you'll get and the more confidence you grow. Good luck with it all fella! :wave:

• Members

Good enough my man, better than what I've got if I were to compose a list of qualities and things I have to offer as a bass player. Most important part is getting into a good groove with the drummer, that's what you gotta think about for now at least, then worry about dynamics of the band, which is at a higher level(there's ALWAYS a higher level, nomatter how good and experienced you are). I personally don't have:

1) Transportation

2) Amp

3) Time for rehearsal

but I can almost always make things happen (with clever phonecall arrangements prior). You have all that, you'll be all over everyone's list of people to call in no time.

• Members

bass is NOT guitar

True dat, double true. But guitar is music and bass is music. I've trained my ear with guitar, and I can figure out a lot of stuff just by listening. Googling bass tabs does the rest.

What have I got? Fender P/J type bass, and Fender BXR200 combo amp, but let's assume that I've already run out and bought a Mesa M-Pulse 600 like I plan to do. I've also got one of those "Amazing $50 Bass" guitars for a backup, and the BXR becomes a backup if necessary.

• Members

My experience with "musician wanted" ads has generally been that most people that post them aren't "band-worthy."

Don't be intimidated. When you respond to ads, if you're honest about your strengths and weaknesses, and you're flexible, maybe only 9/10 of your auditions will be a total waste of time.

I hope I don't sound too bitter. The best way to start/join bands is through personal contacts, in my experience.

• Members

if you can do #5, everything else becomes trivial. if you can really learn 20 songs to a passable level, you're fine. hell, i know plenty of talented, experienced musicians who can't do that in a week. they don't stay in my cover bands very long.

Seriously?

I can learn 20 rock songs to the T in an afternoon if I have the proper motivation. I gave myself a month in case someone throws in some hardcore Jazz stuff I've never heard before in my life.

• Members

Talk to friends that you're thinking about starting a band - more play or 'know someone' who plays than you probably think. It's 110% about chemistry, not about being able to play or having the equipment to play (although I guess having an instrument helps) :thu:

You may stumble across new friends by answering an ad, but if you already have some mojo working with musically-competent friends/associates, go that route (i.e., your band-mates don't need to be Hendrix, they just need to be non douche-bags)...

• Members

stage presence. I didn't realize this about myself until I saw a video of me playing with my last band: I bored the {censored} out of myself. Learn to look up at the audience, and be able to throw in some banter if you should end up with your own mic (having any background vocals ability will help get you said mic). These aren't crucial to getting gigs (the dude from Collective Soul still looks like hes been playing for a week), but it sure won't hurt...

Archived