need some advice on active new pickups in my bass..any help?

jaredcarman

• Members

i have a pick up question regarding a fender jazz bass that i need help with.

i currently am playing an american made fender jazz bass with the s1 switching system through an ampeg 8x10 and and svt classic and im trying to make my sound a little bigger. i am looking at either active emg or semour duncan. the bass has passive pickups right now so it would have to have something cut into the body to house the new pick ups. my question is are the emg j pick ups going to still have the same type of fender sound or am i going to lose it? does anyone know how the semour duncan would compare to the emg? another thing im possibly look at is possibly trying maybe active p bass pick ups in my bass. something a little different maybe. if anyone could give me a little input on any of this that would be awesome. if you want to check out the type of music im playing and listen to my band you can check it out here. www.myspace.com/downtonothing like i said any sort or input at all is greatly appreciated.

• Members

Well...EMG's are certainly going to sound very different than your stock Fenders. I've never played EMG's, so I can;t really comment on how different. What style of music are you talking about here? We can recommend anything that soudns good to us, but it might not help you in the least, since you want say a metal sound and we recommend something good for jazz.

Why would you need to route the body though? Most J replacment pickups are going to fit just fine.

If you're going to put in a P pickup...why not just get a different bass?

Also...to be clear, when you say an active P pickup, what are you talking about? Most basses don't have active pickups...they have activ preamps.

• Members

i guess you could say the band might be metal. the band is a instrumentally a 3 piece so my sound is very important. our guitarist plays from 2 amps and 4x10 cabinets so my sound is very important. i need it to really be there and stand out in its own way. when i say active i mean its going to take a 9v battery.. and more wiring than it has now that is going to have to go somewhere. thats active isnt it? im not exactly bass master hear to bare with me. i like that way it sounds now but i need it to be a little bit louder and in your face. i would love to get a new bass but i just recently put a new bridge on it and im sort of attatched to the bass itself so im aiming to hang on as long as possible.

• Members

What sound are you trying to get? Is there anyone that we might be able to compare it to?

Yes...having a battery means it's active. But it's more than likely an active preamp...unless you're dealing with EMG's or a Warwick (which can get really confusing).

Also, what are you using for an amp and cab? What's your whole rig consist of?

• Members

Many pickups and preamps (including their battery) fit Jazz Basses just fine without routing anything.

First thing first, a JB isn't exactly the best bass to play metal. Humbuckers work much better.

You don't have to go active though, many passive pickups will do a fine job.

Just the same, you can add a preamp without changing your pickups.

• Members

Well, it sounds like from your first post you have a pretty good rig going:

Ampeg Classic head

Ampeg 8x10

American Jazz

If you want to put in Active pickups, EMG's might work well. I play in a metal band with a Jazz bass and an Ampeg SVT 3-Pro into a Mesa 2x15 so it can be done. I just put EMGs in my Jazz and it gives it more punch, more definition, and a more modern tone IMO. EMGs come with what required: the pickups, new pots, a stereo output jack, and a battery clip. All you have to do is install the prewired pots and jack, solder in the pickups, and solder in the battery clip and that's it... everything should be a direct fit too. Here's a pic of my Jazz for reference:

DSC01068.jpg

• Members

Well, if you have a USA Jazz like the one in my picture, EMG J pickups are gonna be a direct fit and probably your best option. I have a bass with an EMG P in it and I do prefer the EMG J pickups actually. Depends whether you prefer a P or J sound to begin with I guess.... me I prefer a Jazz pickup set since I feel that it is more versatile and I play a bunch of different styles besides metal too...

As for before and after the EMGs- kind if like I said above, after putting them in I think it sounded better (see description above). The stock pickups are lower output and more vintage sounding I think.

• Members

Why not try a set of passive Dimarzio Model J's first. I have them in both of my jazz basses (soon to be three) and they have more punch and more cut than any Fender pickup that I have heard. I put them in my Jaguar and it made a whole new bass out of it. They just brought it to life. The stock Fenders are just too subtle. Give the Model J's a try. If they don't do it for you then try the active route.

• Members

never played a show with out the s1 switch pushed in. i think i would hate my tone if that wasnt there. think im going to be going for the two active emg pickups. hopefully the last piece to completing my set up. thanks everyone for the help it was very useful.

• Members

I've spent some time with a jazz fitted with active emg j-pups before - it didn't sound like a jazz any longer, but of course it still played like (which is a plus in my book) - it was hotter, cut through in a different way, and the midrange took on a different sound and sizzle that was sort of unique - it wasn't a bad sound at all, but I'd say it was an acquired taste

my favorite basses with all active emg electronics come from spector, particularly the p/j (not hz's) married with the bts in the older 4-strings (not the tonepump, 100% emg)

• Members

+1 for Active EMG J pups in MIA Jazz basses

Clarity, definition, balanced (even) volume and tone across the neck, punch and tight bottom end.

The Seymour passive 1/4 pounders are also very nice pups, bigger and more dynamic sounding than original Fenders. The SD 1/4 Pounders have a rich expansiveness that the EMGs dont.

I like em both, it just depends on what kind of sound you want/need for the sound situation your in.

If you want more of a P bass sound than the EMG's give but dont want to go digging holes in your nice Jazz body then I'd try the SD's.

Sorry 'no-logic' I've tried the DiMarzios and I'm not a fan. But everyone likes different sounds which makes the musical world go round right? The DMs are a bit too dirty for me, I found they lost a lot of my definition. Different basses, different amp, different player = different sound. They just didn't work for me in my Jazz basses.

Alternatively jaredcarman, buy yourself a nice $160 SX Jazz bass and go to town trying different things, then when you know whats working for you translate that back to your MIA Jazz.

Just some thoughts and ideas to throw around.

Archived