any automechanics in the house?

psychobilly451

• Members

I have a 1988 toyota 4x4 pickup with 22re motor.

symptoms include:

-charging system light is on

-automatic transmission no longer shifts on its own

-transmission control buttons don't work

-temp and fuel gauges no longer work

-turn signals no longer work but flashers do

-brake light fuse melted

-check engine light used to come on but hasn't today

the truck starts and drives.

is it the computer?

• Members

It sounds like you've got a few things wrong. If the computer is to blame, I doubt that is the only thing wrong.

Is your tranny even electronically controlled? The turn signals shouldn;t have anything to do with the comp either...but I could be wrong I suppose. Same with the brake light fuse...

• Members

Check connection to the brake light fuse. probably unrelated. The PCM (powertrain control module) should be checked. Sounds like it is fried and has defaulted to a "limp-home" mode.

how do i get the PCM checked, or is it something that can be done without a diagnostic computer?

• Members

It sounds like you've got a few things wrong. If the computer is to blame, I doubt that is the only thing wrong.

Is your tranny even electronically controlled? The turn signals shouldn;t have anything to do with the comp either...but I could be wrong I suppose. Same with the brake light fuse...

the transmission is electronically controlled.

the turn signals should work if the flashers do, so i thought maybe it could be a computer issue.

• Members

You will need a Diagnostic system to check the PCM. Call your local autoshops and ask if they have a diag system that will read your truck. Or, if you are cheap, find out where they have them and make a visit after hours. You are sure to find a mechanic that will hook it up and check it for you for a couple of bucks.

Archived