Speaker Repair

LoC

• Members

Last year around this time, I bought an Ampeg 212 Classic cabinet. However, after several days, I removed the cover to look at my new speakers and dropped the screen onto one of the speakers, thus busting it. The speaker cone is intact but the paper is torn around 2/3 of the cone and 1/4 around the edge of the speaker as well as having multiple tears in varying directions from the impact.

However, annoyed and unwilling to pay upwards of $150 for a replacement and installation, I simply duct taped the thing. Obviously this lead to rattling and whatnot, but hell if I have the money to pay for a new speaker. So, before I venture into buying a new speaker, is there a way other than duct tape to fix the problem? I want to use white printing paper in multiple layers that is fitted around half the speaker (the hole is expanding) without covering the cone and glue it onto the back.

If I were to replace to speaker here are the numbers around the speaker: 86-5120-04, 121017 40, 67- 9343001B G3.

I have also thought about replacing both speakers to increase the power rating from 200 RMS to upwards to 400 RMS. The cabinet is ported and I know that speakers and cabinets are designed in tandem but if I could increase power that would be great as it is currently one of my limiting factors.

• Members

one way to repair it. You can use marine glue (clear gel type), and put it around the ripped parts of the spearker. It will work, but might not look the best. But only for a temp. solution. I did that on an 8x10 cab, when a few of the 10's ripped.

..... Ditto Rubber cement. It'll hold till you can find a local reconer!

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

So I was finally able to get in touch with the eminence speaker tech and he said the S1012 is a suitable replacement. Now, however, I am curious about the original speakers and the sound difference between the replacement and the new one.

Archived