Two questions (one re: tone, one re: compressor)

seraphim7s

• Members

1. Anyone tried a dbx 266 xl with their rig? I'm totally leaning towards going with something rackmount rather than a pedal, and this thing looks great for the price.

2. Anyone got a good idea of how to dial in a tone like Nikolai Fraiture's from the Strokes? It's possibly my fave rock-based Fender Jazz sound. I know he goes through an Ampeg SVT - Ampeg 8x10 live, but I've got no idea what he does in the studio.

• Members

2. Anyone got a good idea of how to dial in a tone like Nikolai Fraiture's from the Strokes? It's possibly my fave rock-based Fender Jazz sound. I know he goes through an Ampeg SVT - Ampeg 8x10 live, but I've got no idea what he does in the studio.

he uses a Jekyll & Hide overdrive pedal for that overdriven tone...

... if its the overdriven tone you mean, i'd recommend you checking out the Fulltone Bassdrive pedals...

• Members

IMO, the DBX 266 is not going to sound any worse than most pedals. And in a live situation, no one will really be able to tell anyway.

But it is on the cheap end of compressors. And cheap compressors generally "cheapen" the sound. So don't expect fireworks.

• Members

IMO, the DBX 266 is not going to sound any worse than most pedals. And in a live situation, no one will really be able to tell anyway.

But it is on the cheap end of compressors. And cheap compressors generally "cheapen" the sound. So don't expect fireworks.

D'ya reckon it would have quite a high noise floor? Cheap gear tends to be noisy in my experience.

• Members

he uses a Jekyll & Hide overdrive pedal for that overdriven tone...

... if its the overdriven tone you mean, i'd recommend you checking out the Fulltone Bassdrive pedals...

I thought it was just the sound of the amp ... afterall it's not exactly a massively distorted sound.

• Members

D'ya reckon it would have quite a high noise floor? Cheap gear tends to be noisy in my experience.

Again, probably not for live situations. Compressors are pretty "tried and true" technology for the most part. IME, noise isn't so much of a problem as the quality of compression.

I use a Behringer compressor in my rig. Although the compression sounds like {censored}, it doesn't produce any more noise than my Jazz bass picks up on its own.

And just last night, I was getting some noise out of my rig. I disconnected the comp first to see if that was it... and I could tell no major difference in any noise coming out of the speaker.

Archived