The FBI lost evidence because they couldn't pay their bills on time...

King Kashue

• Members

Phone Companies drop FBI wire taps for gross delinquency

The audit showed that "More than half of 990 bills to pay for telecommunication surveillance in five unidentified FBI field offices were not paid on time" and that evidence was actually lost because of the disconnects...

The audit also found several instances of agents pocketing money...

I've only posted this once before, but hey:

dojposter.jpg

• Members

I don't have a problem with them cutting off the taps, but is there a good excuse as to why they "lost" evidence, too? If not, I'd bring the phone company up on some charges or sue them in court for the exact amount of unpaid bills.

Because the evidence was automatically delivered to the FBI through the phonelines that were disconnected due to the FBI being grossly delinquent in paying their bills...

"We also found that late payments have resulted in telecommunications carriers actually disconnecting phone lines established to deliver surveillance results to the FBI, resulting in lost evidence," according to the audit by Inspector General Glenn A. Fine."

Read the article maybe :p

• Moderators
Because the evidence was automatically delivered to the FBI through the phonelines that were disconnected due to the FBI being grossly delinquent in paying their bills...

"We also found that late payments have resulted in telecommunications carriers actually disconnecting phone lines established to deliver surveillance results to the FBI, resulting in lost evidence," according to the audit by Inspector General Glenn A. Fine."

Read the article maybe
:p

I did read the article. That's not a good enough excuse for me. If evidence was going to be lost, they needed to come up with a different way of accomplishing the goal of receiving payment. Public endangerment.;)

• CMS Author

Read the article maybe
:p

I'm curious as to how disconnecting a line results in lost evidence. It's not as if the messages/tapes are stored in the wire.:lol:

• Members

I did read the article. That's not a good enough excuse for me. If evidence was going to be lost, they needed to come up with a different way of accomplishing the goal of receiving payment. Public endangerment.
;)

Disconnection comes after months of delinquency and requests for payment. It's not the phone company's job to do the FBIs job.

They've got billions of dollars of tax payer money and trillions of dollars of deficit spending available to them...Write a check.

• Moderators
Disconnection comes after months of delinquency and requests for payment. It's not the phone company's job to do the FBIs job.

They've got billions of dollars of tax payer money and trillions of dollars of deficit spending available to them...Write a check.

I'd agree with you except it's a wiretap situation, and you don't know who exactly is getting wiretapped or why. Neither does Ma Bell. What if they cut off a wire tap that ended up with the lost tapee causing the next 9/11? Bad form. Take it to a judge and have the judge force the past due bills to get paid promptly.

• Members

I'd agree with you except it's a wiretap situation, and you don't know who exactly is getting wiretapped or why. Neither does Ma Bell. What if they cut off a wire tap that ended up with the lost tapee causing the next 9/11? Bad form. Take it to a judge and have the judge force the past due bills to get paid promptly.

And it's still not the Phone company's fault...If the FBI loses information because they're months delinquent on their bills and ignoring multiple warnings about impending disconnection, that's their fault.

Archived