Poweramp for bass

cdawzrd

• Members

Hi folks,

I'm mostly on the guitar/effects side but figured I'd ask this here... I'm building a rackmount bass preamp as part of a school project. My question is, what are some ideas for cheap but not half bad poweramps that would work with a bass preamp like the RBI or whatever. Would a straight up PA poweramp work about as well as one "designed" for bass? If I get a stereo PA amp, I could use one channel for low and one for high, assuming my pre has a crossover, correct? What should I be looking for on ebay?

Any thoughts would be appreciated :)

• Members

what are some ideas for cheap but not half bad poweramps that would work with a bass preamp like the RBI or whatever.

QSC Amps. RMX series.

Would a straight up PA poweramp work about as well as one "designed" for bass?

In theory, yes. PA poweramps are (supposed to be) designed to cover the entire audible frequency spectrum.

If I get a stereo PA amp, I could use one channel for low and one for high, assuming my pre has a crossover, correct?

Yes, but depending on what you're doing... you probably won't need a crossover. Crossovers are typically used to separate the frequency range and send each band of frequencies to different poweramps... which send the audio to different speakers.

Usually, you will not want to separate frequencies if you're running everything through one poweramp.

• Members

Yes, but depending on what you're doing... you probably won't need a crossover. Crossovers are typically used to separate the frequency range and send each band of frequencies to different poweramps... which send the audio to different speakers.

Usually, you will not want to separate frequencies if you're running everything through one poweramp.

Thanks for the suggestions. What I meant was, if my preamp has an optional crossover (like some bass preamps/heads), could I use the left channel of a stereo PA poweramp as the low poweramp, and the right channel as high, for example? I can't imagine why that wouldn't work but maybe the low/high poweramps in a biamped head are wired/voiced differently?

• Members

And in addition to the new QSC, are there any old discontinued ones that go for cheap? Like for example, I've heard that Peavey Mark IV bass amps are good for the money, and they are old/solid state. Anything like that come to mind in terms of poweramps? (I'm looking for something I might be able to score off ebay/cl)

• Members

Thanks for the suggestions. What I meant was, if my preamp has an optional crossover (like some bass preamps/heads), could I use the left channel of a stereo PA poweramp as the low poweramp, and the right channel as high, for example? I can't imagine why that wouldn't work but maybe the low/high poweramps in a biamped head are wired/voiced differently?

No, you're right! Hell that's how I run my PA in small venues.

Pauly seems to be a little off this morning. :idk:

• Members

And in addition to the new QSC, are there any old discontinued ones that go for cheap? Like for example, I've heard that Peavey Mark IV bass amps are good for the money, and they are old/solid state. Anything like that come to mind in terms of poweramps? (I'm looking for something I might be able to score off ebay/cl)

In my experiences, you can pick up a new QSC RMX for close to the same price as a good used amp.

But if you're looking at used, I'd keep an eye out for Mackie and Crown (or QSC). Those would probably be the used brands I would recommend if you're trying to save money.

• Members

You should be able to pick up an old Peavey CS800x on ebay for peanuts

like this one http://cgi.ebay.com/PEAVEY-CS800X-PROFESSIONAL-STEREO-POWER-AMPLIFIER_W0QQitemZ270201272947QQihZ017QQcategoryZ23787QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

They're heavy, but possibly indestructible

• Members

I'm not "off" this morning. Just slow.
:)

I thought that was normal? :confused:

+1 on QSC. Although if you want to stay cheap and don't mind size and weight, older Peavey amps like the CS-800X are usually found cheap and are bulletproof beyond belief.

EDIT: I posted this without reading FSI's post above. Scary.

• Members

Find a used, cheap, clean Peavey CS800, the older ones are the Ford pickup of power amps.

What kind of tone you get is entirely dependent on what preamp you run between it and the bass. Either good dedicated bass preamps (Alembics, Kerns, Demeters) or some of the new tube-based channel strips (not cheap, but the 737 Avalon is delicious) would be fine, but probably not in the budget. Good power amps are essentially tone-less: It all depends on what you run through them.

• Members

I tried asking the same question over in the Live Sound forum and got hit with a firestorm of flaming egos, so I'm glad this is brought up here.

Same question - I've got a Peavey Bassist pre and I want to run the low out from the cross-over through a power amp and into a 2x12 subwoofer and take the full band out into another channel on a power amp to drive a JBL 15" cab. What kind of power should I be looking at to hang with a drummer and keep up with a Marshall stack?

This one looks interesting, but I don't know:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Crown-XLS-202D-Power-Amplifier?sku=481584

• Members

I saw those Pyles, but it appears their power ratings are "disingenuous" - i.e. they use "peak" power instead of RMS which appears to be 1/3 of what they state. What's your experience been?

I don't really know if that is RMS or peak power...

I will have to dig out the owners manual and see how they are rating the aamps.

I am satisfied with their performance, so far they have proved to be very reliable amps and at $180.00 a pop they have saved me a wad of dough.:thu:

Archived