OT: Put My Two Cats Down Today

blueyedmule

• Members

They both had real bad mouths. I'd already gone the oral surgery route with them both and had teeth pulled and large vet bills. We couldn't afford to go through it again, especially not now. Unfortunately, nearly everything is technically operable with cats since they can do anything to them they can to people. For a price. And the vets here in town were telling us that they wouldn't put them down for us if it was anything they could "correct". And with cats, once they start having severe gum disease and having to have teeth pulled, it doesn't get better and you end up with a cat with no teeth and bad health. As it was they were dropping hair and weight like tweekers on a binge.

It's a slippery slope that was headed to hell. I just lit the match a little earlier than they would have.

:cry::cry::cry:

• Members

Thats how my dad put down our cats when they got to that point. I don't see anything wrong with that. Then again, I'm some savage from Idaho.

Properly administered, it's no nicer or meaner than rendering them unconscious and then stopping their heart. But it sure looks worse.

It wasn't my first choice, I would rather have had them put down at the vet's. The vets dictated otherwise with their policies.

• Members

In the former Soviet Union (and I still think in Russia) when a death sentence is carried out, here's how it works:

A single executioner from a pool of executioners volunteers to be the trigger man. The condemned convict is led out to to a courtyard. He is hooded and his hands are tied behind his back. He kneels down. The executioner puts a handgun to the back of his head and shoots once.

Simple, quick, humane, and utterly effective.

For carrying out an execution, I have no problem with a single, well-placed bullet.

• Members

Why use a .22? Why not a .308?

1) I don't own a .308.

2) You'd be suprised (maybe) at how much death is packed in a .22 LR. It's enough for cats.

I had other weapons options. I decided my grandad's single-shot bolt-action .22 was plenty.

Grim decisions. . .

• Members

1) I don't own a .308.

2) You'd be suprised (maybe) at how much death is packed in a .22 LR. It's enough for cats.

I had other weapons options. I decided my grandad's single-shot bolt-action .22 was plenty.

Grim decisions. . .

Yeah. A well placed .22 is plenty of rifle to kill a man.

• Members

1) I don't own a .308.

Grim decisions. . .

That sucks man..for you and for the cats. There are plenty of people that would just toss them somewhere and let them starve to death. In your case I think you did the humane thing.

Dan

• Members

Sorry about your kitties. Sounds like tried to do right by them - that doesn't make it any easier.
:cry:

Thanks, Bob. It wasn't easy, they were my buddies for a good long while. I'll miss them quite a bit. We're all wearing sad faces around this house today. My wife and I keep not looking at each other so we won't cry. I'm drinking Coke like water to keep myself up, cos if I go on the bourbon chaser I'll probably melt down. I don't wanna go there.

• Members

sorry for your loss.

I had to have my Cat of 10 years put down when he became very violent and beligerant towards my son shortly after his birth.

I dont have a problem with how you carried this out. I saw them inject my Cat and its an image I will never forget.

either way it is easy

Archived