Return to Forever: Light as a Feather

Zebra

• Members

Does anyone have this album? I've been perplexed by it for quite some time.

The band rocks, the songs rock, the music rocks.... but why do the vocals suck so much ass? I don't get it. Is it intentional? It seems to me they might be the worst jazz vocals of all time.

For those who aren't familiar, check out the samples of the first two songs here:

http://www.amazon.com/Light-as-Feather-Return-Forever/dp/B0000046YK/ref=pd_bxgy_m_img_b

• Members

Dude, I dig the vocals. I bought the album when it first came out. Dug it then and dig it now. Flora Purim, if you don't know is one of Brazil's best known vocalists. Sang with everyone and their brother an has amassed an impressive discography by anyones standards.

Its ok if your musical tastes don't include that style or type of vocalist but don't trash one of the top female jazz vocalist of the last 25 years.

Love ya man. :wave:

• Members

Dude, I dig the vocals. I bought the album when it first came out. Dug it then and dig it now. Flora Purim, if you don't know is one of Brazil's best known vocalists. Sang with everyone and their brother an has amassed an impressive discography by anyones standards.

Its ok if your musical tastes don't include that style or type of vocalist but don't trash one of the top female jazz vocalist of the last 25 years.

Love ya man.
:wave:

Man, I really don't get it at all then. Is it supposed to be somewhat avant-garde or something?

• Members

Man, I really don't get it at all then. Is it supposed to be somewhat avant-garde or something?

You know, kinda but not really. It was, at the time 72 or 73, way "out there". Chick Corea was "experimenting" with fusion. Flora's was a new voice in America. I am not an expert of the time or the music, but I lived it. I remember when it came out. I was hyped up (as we said back then). don't really think she has done anything like that since. Go to her web site to see what she has done and is doing since then.

• Members

Love ya man.
:wave:

+1 on that. I remember when Light As A Feather came out. This was the coolest thing to listen to something so different and free from the boxed in standard of vocal music at that time, and backed by BAMF jazzer's laying it down.

• Members

Just judging by those samples (I know, that's not real fair), I'd say she can't hold a pitch and has poor vocal techniques. Now, that's not saying it doesn't fit the style, or she's doing her own thing but the chops are not there at all. Style just for the sake of style, without the backbone of technique, sucks. There are so many singers that fall into that category too, sad really.

• Members

Just judging by those samples (I know, that's not real fair), I'd say she can't hold a pitch and has poor vocal techniques. Now, that's not saying it doesn't fit the style, or she's doing her own thing but the chops are not there at all. Style just for the sake of style, without the backbone of technique, sucks. There are so many singers that fall into that category too, sad really.

That's what I hear when I listen to it. I'm not sure what the style is supposed to be. Is poor execution an intentional part of the style? Because it sounds like she just can't sing.

Archived