Adding a master volume via the effects loop

Never_Grew_Up

• Members

Just picked up a used Fender M80 bass head that only has a single volume control. It may work out fine like it is but most of what I've played in the past had channel & master volume so I could push the preamp & get crunch/distortion and use the master to control overall volume.

I've seen little metal boxes with volume pots in the patched into the effects loop before to pad the signal between preamp & power amp & am thinking I might try that. Any suggestions on what value the pot should be?

I know that when doing guitars the typical reccomendation is 250k for single coils & 500k for duals, but what about for line levels?

• Members

I'm not too sure this would get you what you want out of it. It's just going to raise or lower the overall volume. You want to be overdriving the preamp tubes by what you're describing, and by adding a volume in the loop...it will be after the preamp tubes, thus negating the purpose.

If you're hell bent on trying it, just add a volume pedal into the FX loop. This way you can have easy and real time control with your foot.

Archived