Remember when Incubus....

Rootdogg

• Members

....was REALLY bad ass?

when Science dropped?

That album changed a lot for me, especially because it really resembled the sound and setup my band had back then,

Now they sound poorly produced and really lame.

Someone posted this recently, sorry but I'm too lazy to go back and find the credit.

Sick vid though.

watch?v=oBxOLr-3sCM

• Members

I posted that vid!
:D

Yeah, when they canned Dirk, the whole band went to {censored}. It started during Morning View (Which still had some awesome work on "Have You Ever" "Circles" and "Under My Umbrella")...

Yep. Morning View was ok, I def checked it out when it was released. It never stuck with me. A decent album, but not science. Doesn't sound as big as Science, not as much headroom, or something....

• Members

I started on "Make Yourself", so that was the album I fell head-over-heels for. I added Science and Morning View around the same time. My favorite song from them was "Crowded Elevator" which came out between SCIENCE and Make Yourself, so I guess that was the best time...

• Members

I spent 3 days with Incubus travelling from Baton Rouge, LA to Atlanta, GA in 1996, I think. They were touring Science with Dial Seven and a non-heard of System of a Down. They had just got a tour bus... very cool experience. My friend Bucky went to school with Incubus and we met them in BR, LA. Jose was was the colest guy. Shovel (spelling) and I smoked out like 40 times in 3 days. SOD blew my mind, have been a fan ever since. Serge is nice guy also. We talked my times about politics and space. yeah... that was awesome. I still have a backstage pass for 2 shows 1 at the Varsity in Baton Rouge and 1 from the Cotton Club in Atlanta. Yes... Incubus was badass.... they now suck balls.

• Members

....was REALLY bad ass?

when Science dropped?

That album changed a lot for me, especially because it really resembled the sound and setup my band had back then,

Now they sound poorly produced and really lame.

Someone posted this recently, sorry but I'm too lazy to go back and find the credit.

Sick vid though.

watch?v=oBxOLr-3sCM

no. i dont remember that. that {censored} sucks major stinky ass, I cant believe anybody sits thru that crap.

• Members

+1 on the liking Incubus until Dirk left the band.

They're just not Incubus anymore. :/

I disagree. They're still Incubus, and you don't like their evolution.

If i don't really like the last album, i saw their DVD with Ben Kenney on bass and found it and him really good. This guy plays, i like his tone and groove.

• Members

I disagree. They're still Incubus, and you don't like their evolution.

If i don't really like the last album, i saw their DVD with Ben Kenney on bass and found it and him really good. This guy plays, i like his tone and groove.

Dirk was one of the primary writers in the band (in fact, he wrote the guitar's hook line for "drive"), and since his departure, the funk and the originality of the band's music is either gone or at least diminished. Thats not to say they are totally devoid of good stuff (I actually liked "Make a Move" from the "Stealth" Soundtrack), but the percentage of stuff that sounds like everything else on the radio is increasing exponentially. "Anna Molly" sounded more like The Strokes than like Incubus. They still perform better than most acts out there, but I just can't get into the music as much (if at all) anymore...

• Members

Ok, i agree with that. But it matches with your tastes about their music. Perhaps others like the singer voice ? the guitar tone ? the drums ?

What i want to say is that what you found really good is this band has disappeared with Dirk, but perhaps other people started to love them since he's gone ? People which prefer mainstream music than originality ?

I tell this because that what i had with Metallica. I really like the load - reload period, which is for me the best music from Metallica. Opposite to a lot of fans which really hate them since the black album.. I can't stand albums before black album, excepet several tunes like seek and destroy. It's another point of view, a matter of taste.

Same with Pink Floyd that is one of my two favorite bands: "Fans" said that Pink Floyd is dead with Waters departure (and even Barret departure). But i realized recently, with the last Dave Gilmour album, that is his guitar which really talk to my soul. I dig his last album, and really dig his last DVD, in which he plays his music, and Pink Floyd music. As opposite, i don't like what Waters did since he plays solo.

• Members

+1 on the liking Incubus until Dirk left the band.

They're just not Incubus anymore. :/

Dirk was a huge songwriter contribution to the band, and it shows after he left of his own accord. I'm not sure who does it now, but they don't do a very good job.

I was really anti-Incubus when "Make Yourself" dropped and you heard "Drive" 50 times a day. Then someone gave me "S.C.I.E.N.C.E." and I was hooked. That and "Fungus Amongus" are all-time classics in my book, and I've grown to just love "Make Yourself" as an album. And actually "Morning View" as well.

Dirk, like Jason, was such an iconic figure in the band to me that they should have just changed the name. I saw the live at Red Rocks thing and just lol'd the whole time. Was awful compared to back in the day. And Kenney may be a good guitard for the Roots or whatnot, but he couldn't hold a candle to Dirk's worst lines on his best day. Truth be told!

Archived