OT: MMA (Mixed martial arts)

REMUS

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

HI REMUS

I've always wanted to get into some sort of martial art, or maybe kickboxing, but I have no idea what is what and there's so many options... I hope we have a few members into this stuff so I can get my options straight.

• Members

I've trained in Muay Thai and French Savate kickboxing for a few years although I tend to gravitate towards Muay Thai because it's much more functional and practical. I've also experimented with BJJ, but not too much. I would love to learn though.

Dan

Is that like idiot savate kickboxing there Ramon... how exactly is Muy Thai practical? Have you ever been in a fight? Within 20 seconds 90% of fights go to the ground. I kick Muy for 8 years at Continental in Atlanta and grappled for 5-6 months with some friends. I realized JuiJitsu is way tougher than standing and kicking and knees. Judo and grappling arts are the {censored}... aside from pro MMA bouts will beat a Thai boxer 99% of fights.

• Members

Is that like idiot savate kickboxing there Ramon... how exactly is Muy Thai practical? Have you ever been in a fight? Within 20 seconds 90% of fights go to the ground. I kick Muy for 8 years at Continental in Atlanta and grappled for 5-6 months with some friends. I realized JuiJitsu is way tougher than standing and kicking and knees. Judo and grappling arts are the {censored}... aside from pro MMA bouts will beat a Thai boxer 99% of fights.

Wow..you completely discount a martial art that's been around and is a proven fighting system because you like to grapple? Good for you jackass! I've been in plenty of fights, street and cage. I've beat grapplers because they couldn't take me down. I've been beat by grapplers who did. It depends on the fighter. A grappler will not beat a Muay Thai fighter 99% of the time. Not sure where you got that statistic from?

Now to address your questions, and if you practiced MT for any length of time I shouldn't have to explain it. Muay Thai uses every natural weapon you have to dismantle your oponnent quickly and violently. You can do it long range with kicks, or close range with elbows and knees. For a standup art, it is almost perfect. As far as French Savate, it's kickboxing that is influenced more by traditional martial arts with high kicks with very solid boxing skills..more like traditional american boxing. It's a good skill to have but like I said I prefer Muay Thai because it's more functional in everyday uses..and yes I have used it in street fights with good results. BJJ is an excellent art to know, but it isn't the end all be all. Did you happen to see Matt Hughs beat the {censored} out of Gracie? Yeah...that's what training BJJ gets you..beat to hell by a well rounded MMA fighter. Did you also happen to see GSP dismantle Hughs in their second fight standing up...because he couldn't take him down? What about every fight Chuck Liddel had with Ground and pound guys?...you know, where they couldn't take him down? Yeah..that's what Muay Thai will get you. Which proves my point that it depends on the fighters involved.

Now where exactly did you get your info about 90% of fights go to the ground in 20 seconds? Is that an actual statistic or is it some dumb {censored} your BJJ instructor told you, or something you heard on Bullshido.com?

I also just wanted to let you know, that for a fighter you really portray the image that most people have very well. Meathead.

Dan

• Members

I haven't sparred in years, and I haven't fought in years...The fight I used to fight was within myself...If you're interested in this stuff for sport, confidence, discipline, etc... martial arts are great...if it's for self defense it is great too but I've found the best self defense is to walk or if need be to run away, If you absolutely have to fight...Nose, Knee, or Nuts...hit em to break em cause in the real world there are no rules and no tapping out...But by no means am I an expert in any way shape or form, this is just my humble opinion...

That being said I've always been partial to Krav Maga.

...And in my experience within 20 seconds most fights are over...unless you're talking 2 drunks flailing their arms around.

...And Justinbass makes the best point.

• Members

Wow..you completely discount a martial art that's been around and is a proven fighting system because you like to grapple? Good for you jackass! I've been in plenty of fights, street and cage. I've beat grapplers because they couldn't take me down. I've been beat by grapplers who did. It depends on the fighter. A grappler will not beat a Muay Thai fighter 99% of the time. Not sure where you got that statistic from?

Now to address your questions, and if you practiced MT for any length of time I shouldn't have to explain it. Muay Thai uses every natural weapon you have to dismantle your oponnent quickly and violently. You can do it long range with kicks, or close range with elbows and knees. For a standup art, it is almost perfect. As far as French Savate, it's kickboxing that is influenced more by traditional martial arts with high kicks with very solid boxing skills..more like traditional american boxing. It's a good skill to have but like I said I prefer Muay Thai because it's more functional in everyday uses..and yes I have used it in street fights with good results. BJJ is an excellent art to know, but it isn't the end all be all. Did you happen to see Matt Hughs beat the {censored} out of Gracie? Yeah...that's what training BJJ gets you..beat to hell by a well rounded MMA fighter. Did you also happen to see GSP dismantle Hughs in their second fight standing up...because he couldn't take him down? What about every fight Chuck Liddel had with Ground and pound guys?...you know, where they couldn't take him down? Yeah..that's what Muay Thai will get you. Which proves my point that it depends on the fighters involved.

Now where exactly did you get your info about 90% of fights go to the ground in 20 seconds? Is that an actual statistic or is it some dumb {censored} your BJJ instructor told you, or something you heard on Bullshido.com?

I also just wanted to let you know, that for a fighter you really portray the image that most people have very well. Meathead.

Dan

My experience is from 50+ street fights with scars to prove. While I haven't bee in a "street" fight in 6 years (hopefully never will), I've been fighting since I was 12 years of age. This was prepared with 6 years of wrestling (2 bro's were all state, wrestled with bigger kids everyday for 6 years), 8 years of boxing (dad and grampa are GG boxers) 2.5 years kickboxing, and 1 year of karate-- which is useless in a fight unless you are a tough SOB to begin with.

So I believe I am qualified to say that 90% of fights go to the ground in 20 seconds or less. Fights... I've been in many, seen more, and know some tough SOB's who fight professionally. I've beat the living crap out of 75-85% of persons I've fought and had the ever-loving {censored} kicked out of me with my cranuim split open with a baseball bat and almost died... Muy Thai didn't do {censored}... track would be more helpful.

I actually was training to audition for Ultimate Fighter in 2003, but had a reoccurring knee injury due to college tennis injury. I was running back to back - 6 min. miles, biking 20 miles a day, then... start training. I wouls say I was good condition.

Now, a well-trained any-sport will defeat a under-trained any-sport... just makes sense. I entry level Thai boxer probably can't do {censored}. My coach was a proven veteran fighter from Thailand for 13 years and would kick my ass befoe I could blink an eye. Could he stand up to Liddell.. heck no, but thats re-framing the argument.

In a logistic "street" fight against a guy (I'm assuming you fight men) a few judo and juijitsu moves will prove waaaayy more effective then trying to land a kick or throw an elbow. Some guys you may fight on the "street" know how to fight and will kick the {censored} out of you if you don't land a kick or elbow to perfection and disable them. 1 friend in particular comes to mind, he is just a tough SOB and I have seen him get hit repeatedly in the face/head which would break most people. He keeps coming and is just tough... lo-mid/hi Thai boxing would not be effective, because he can just fight. Now you take Chris to the ground and lock an elbow, he's done... get the picture now cowboy... later.

• Members

BTW.. check to latest MMA rankings. tell me any of the fighter are primary Muy Thai boxers. I think you'll find ONLY Anderson Silva is a Thai Boxer... and a Freak of Nature, I'll add. Silva's ground game is immpeccable. Matt Hughes got locked out in last fight, no? And yes Hughes did beat Gracie... at like 41 years old, right? OK... thanks. Now check Hughes' record... what percentage of his wins are strikes? OK... thanks. You do know Hughes is a wrestler, right? yeah... later.

• Members

On a collision course to be the greatest sport ever. Partly because its just cool, we all have fantisized about kicking ass. Mostly because its an international sport. It can be marketed to a variety of cultures. Also consider it is obtainable. You train Thai boxing, you have a personal connection to it. How many guys do you know train baseball or football? I don't think I'll get a Matt Hughes poster or jersey, but I'd like to buy him a beer and shoot the {censored}, ya know. Next, I'll say 1 on 1 (yeah, yeah) sports are supreme... 1 man enters, 1 man wins. This has been a premise in history since gladiatorial arenas and so forth... tres cool mang. My two anyhoo...

• Members

My experience is from 50+ street fights with scars to prove. While I haven't bee in a "street" fight in 6 years (hopefully never will), I've been fighting since I was 12 years of age. This was prepared with 6 years of wrestling (2 bro's were all state, wrestled with bigger kids everyday for 6 years), 8 years of boxing (dad and grampa are GG boxers)
2.5 years kickboxing,
and 1 year of karate-- which is useless in a fight unless you are a tough SOB to begin with.

2.5 years huh? Wow..cause from your earlier post you said you had trained for 8 years Muay Thai???

I actually was training to audition for Ultimate Fighter in 2003, but had a reoccurring knee injury due to college tennis injury. I was running back to back - 6 min. miles, biking 20 miles a day, then... start training. I wouls say I was good condition.

Wow, so was I. Now isn't that easy? I can say whatever I want because there isnt' a record of it..sweet!

In a logistic "street" fight against a guy (I'm assuming you fight men) a few judo and juijitsu moves will prove waaaayy more effective then trying to land a kick or throw an elbow.

No it won't, not in ever situation. Also define "Logistic street fight" for me.

Some guys you may fight on the "street" know how to fight and will kick the {censored} out of you if you don't land a kick or elbow to perfection and disable them. 1 friend in particular comes to mind, he is just a tough SOB and I have seen him get hit repeatedly in the face/head which would break most people. He keeps coming and is just tough... lo-mid/hi Thai boxing would not be effective, because he can just fight. Now you take Chris to the ground and lock an elbow, he's done... get the picture now cowboy... later.

[sarcasm]Man you have some stories huh? You must live in the wrong side of the tracks...must have been seriously scary growing up. Bad ass![/sarcasm]

• Members

Agreed. Especially in a real world situation...not in a match.

In a real fight, it is very practical. Much more practical than JJ or any type of submission fighting. Scenario: You're in a bar...the next thing you know, you're in a fight with them. You're going to wrestle him to the ground and submit him? I don't think so. You're going to punch his lights out!

Yes...I have been in fights. I was in the Marines. I've only been in a small handful that were taken to the ground, and that's because somebody couldn't stand anymore. Nobody was "taken" to the ground and submitted. In my experience, I'd say maybe 10% of
my
fights were taken to the ground.

+1 on all counts.

You should have tried out to be in Lionheart!
:thu:

Marines, huh? Explains why your such a tool. Marines are pussies. I've beat the crap out of several Marines who thought they were Semper Fi!!! What a joke. Try Coronado Island... Paris Island is childs play.

Maybe you should train MMA instead of bass.

• Members

Marines, huh? Explains why your such a tool. Marines are pussies. I've beat the crap out of several Marines who thought they were Semper Fi!!! What a joke. Try Coronado Island... Paris Island is childs play.

Maybe you should train MMA instead of bass.

Insulting the armed forces? Marines are pussies? I'm a tool? Wow!!! And you live in the US?

Corando Island? So now you're saying you were in the Seals?

And now since we're playing a game of wits...if I was going to Coronado Island, I would have went to Camp Pendleton...not Parris (with two r's) Island.

Since all you seem to do is fight with everyone and make ridiculous comments like those that I quoted, why not do everyone a favor and just {censored} OFF!!!

Archived