This is why I wish I only played four strings.

L-1329

• Members

12 weeks to get a set of pickups!:eek::cry::(

And it's all ABM's fault for going out of business! Recap: five string P/J bass, all set for an 18mm ABM bridge, Nordstrand pickups same as in my LeCompte. Cake right? Of course not! The bridge became unavailable and then ABM closed up shop. Scratch that, on to plan B. Plan B meant there were no other options for suitable 18mm bridges (besides Hipshot which I am avoiding) that I wanted to use on this project, so I guess on to plan C. Plan C meant downsizing to a 17.5mm bridge, of which there were a couple nice options. Next problem is that the 17.5mm spacing was too tight for Nord to build the split coil bridge J pup, so now the pickup choice is back in doubt. Plan D involved a lot of emails to BestBassGear, who was able to get Nordstrand to agree to make a special stacked hum cancelling J for this project, that can hold the narrower spacing, which is a pickup they used to make but don't anymore. So now the pickups are a totally one off custom order, and are going to take a few months to get built. I really couldn't find any other pickups, Barts included, that were noiseless and would work with the string spread of the narrower bridge, and still really want the Nordies. No choice but to wait now, but in the mean time I'm going to go get a drill, new soldering tools, bits, etc and start finishing the rest of the bass myself. This is going to be a long wait though. And none of this would even be an issue if everything was standardized like four strings. The makers really need to get more fiver P/J's out there and get some common parts working!:(

• Members

Larry at Aero makes all of his pickups by hand and therefore is one of the only manufacturers, if not the only, that can meet any string spacing requirement you have. He also doesn't overcharge for his work.

I'll remember that for the next one.;) If I wasn't so sold on the Nordie P I'd call him tomorrow, but I wanted to stay as close to the woods and specs of my other P/J. The Nordie pups are a big part of that and I want to keep as much of that sound as I can. It's the only known thing I have about this whole bass!:cool:

Archived