Switching from guitar...advice?

sodacose

• Members

Greeting all! I hail from the EG forum.

I recently started playing with a new group on bass. Funny side note: I joined this group with our bassist while the one I played lead for is on hiatus for a couple months; we swapped instruments because he pines for the missing strings. So far, I friggin' love it!

I used to play bass in another group years ago when I was just starting out, so I dusted off what was left of the old gear and started playing. Problem is that what was left was a beat-to-hell Ibanez four-string and a 60w Crate amp. I've already caved for a MIM Jazz bass, but I'm looking for a nicer combo for practice and possibly smaller gigs.

Can anyone give me any suggestions on a good, portable 100w-ish combo? I'm looking to spend probably around $300-500. For larger gigs, I'll use my buddy's rig. I've been eyeing the GK MB amps and they look promising, albeit a little expensive. The sound I try to go for is mostly clean, finger-style with some slap-and-pluck thrown in. READ: funky.

Another thing I'm thinking about is swaping the pups in my new bass. I'd like it just a bit quieter. I know with EG pups that single coils generally give the best high end at the sacrifice of hum; I assume bass pups are similar? Anyone tried the Guitar Fetish replacements? I've had luck with their EG pups, but there aren't many reviews of their bass stuff out there.

Any other essentials in the bass-player tool-box?

Sorry, it's a lot of questions, but I'm pretty jazzed up about being back on bass, sliding grooves under the radar and up peoples legs.

My picking hand hurts so good.

• Members

Another thing I'm thinking about is swaping the pups in my new bass. I'd like it just a bit quieter.

Why can't you just turn the volume knob a little bit to the left?

Maybe it's just me, but new PUP's seems like an expensive option to make your bass a bit quieter. :idk:

• Members

Why can't you just turn the volume knob a little bit to the left?

Maybe it's just me, but new PUP's seems like an expensive option to make your bass a bit quieter.
:idk:

+2

If its a noise thing, then just shield your bass. I got some shielding tape from Stew Mac and shielded my Pee bass and its much much better now.

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Electronics,_pickups/Supplies:_Shielding/Conductive_Copper_Tape.html

:thu:

• Members

+2

If its a noise thing, then just shield your bass. I got some shielding tape from Stew Mac and shielded my Pee bass and its much much better now.

Oops... I didn't catch that it was noise issue. :o Sorry. I'm slow sometimes.

But yeah... a few bucks on sheilding tape and a little elbow grease will go a long way in the fight against hum.

I'd go there first if you're relatively happy with the tone of your bass.

Otherwise, if it's "funky" you're after, I would definitely recommend the DiMarzio Ultra J PUP's. I have them. They're humbucking, and they've got a great balance between thump and growl. That's what I look for in a "funky" tone, anyway.

• Members

Yeah, I have shielded my strat (via guitarnuts guide). I should probably do that because I don't find anything wrong with the actual tone of the pups. Thanks for reminding me.

I actually went to GC and tried a couple things today. A lot of it isn't going to be much better than the Crate if it's just rehearsal. The Peavey's were okay but weren't going to be any louder it seemed and the ones that could have been loud enough were too big. They didn't have any smaller Ampegs.

Anyone ever tried/owned one of these?

It sounded pretty friggin good. Not sure it sounded like 500w's though. Of course, it's only a 12" speaker in a small enclosure.

• Members

yeah, it was very hifi sounding. I tried the 2x10 which I didn't like as much as the 1x12. the 1x12 seemed warmer. and yes, it was loud. it also weighed under 30lbs which was amazing.

serious bass-gas is building. it's different than guitar-gas, lower and more urgent.

Archived