Cab gurus...

tylytle

• Members

I have an old peavey monitor i am using for a small stage rig. It is approx 2 cubic feet. It has a port that is appox 1 3/4" wide and 12' long. I put a BW 1201 in it.

Sounds great until I really push it, then it will fart on anything below an A on the E striing.

can I change the port to help this? I am pretty sure this speaker is designed for this size cab.

I am pushing about 300 watts through it.

• Members

I am pretty sure this speaker is designed for this size cab.

That's the other way around. Cabs are designed around speakers.

You will experience "flutter" (or "farting") with ported cabs. Some are better than others... and some are designed well enough that the "flutter" isn't very apparent within the bass's range. But it's the nature of the beast.

This is how I understand it:

There's so much air trying to escape through a small hole (the port), that it actually gets backed up. It's trying to push more air through the port than the port has room for... it creates air pockets... and "flutters". So I guess the term "farting" ain't too far off.

What can you do? Design a new box for it. Or you can try closing the port with something. I know someone that rolled up a small towel and jammed it in the port (creating a "sealed cab")... worked pretty well. But you will lose some volume since ports are generally designed to boost a certain frequency. It's quick and cheap to try. But you might not be happy with the results since sealed cabs are designed around specific speakers also.

• Moderators

That's the other way around. Cabs are designed around speakers.

It's all semantics to an extent. Speakers and cabinets are interactive. You need them both to be complimentary.

I have to download the specs on that speaker, but I will later and then I'll run a model.

Archived