refreting my fretless guild that i had defreted

filterthing

• Members

ahhh, nice title huh?

anyway years back i had my guild b302 defreted, the rosewood neck now has maple fret markers in place of frets. I just found an old video of me playing it (before the fretless job) and it just sounds so much better.

How much of a job is it to refret a defretted fretless? And does it abuse the neck to keep pulling frets in and out?

• Members

I defretted my '62 Jazz reissue, filled the slots with plastic wood and dressed the board. the original frets were totally shot, so I figured wtf.

I had it professionally refretted to the tune of $450 last year. A major part of the expense was recutting and cleaning the original fret slots. If you can do that yourself, you'll save some brass. Otherwise, look out. :freak:

• Moderators

The fingerboard will survive in the hands of a skilled luthier. However, as Thumper notes above, it will cost a bit to clean out those fret lines and all the residual muck. Any competent luthier can handle the job, but how clean a job it is will depend on their experience and skill.

• Members

cool, thanks all... maybe it will just remain fretless. In the video i was watching, it had such a nice growl to it, made me want that back. As a fretless on the neck pickup it does have a very nice upright type sound. Nothing like a fender fretless, but still nice.

ahh, the things we do in our youth...

seemed like such a good idea at the time, only cost me 100 bucks or so.

• Members

If you plan to keep it, you might want to consider having the refret job done, expensive as it is.

B-302s are nice basses. I think Guild did a nice job of getting a Jazz tone without being a complete clone. They've been creeping up in value over the last few years, too.

• Members

yeah, it was my first "real" bass, so I have no desire to get rid of it. I swear I saw somewhere they made a fretless model, but I am not sure. I have also heard that the pickups are sought after.

I hate to say it, but it is really an ugly bass compared to some others of the time. Makes the Gibson ripper look pretty.;)

Anyway, if anyone has a good shop they go to in the valley, burbank area of LA let me know.

• Members

ouch, had no idea it would cost so much :[ I made the same mistake on my ripper, thought it was such a good idea at the time. Oh well, in my case, I could get another ripper cheaper than I could have mine refretted for. And neither is in the budget, so I guess I've got a decoration, hehe

Archived