Oregon forumites: Where to go?

BassMaster General

• Members

So my better half and I are heading down to Washington and Oregon next week and since I don't know Oregon I thought I'd ask some who do!

Where in Portland/Eugene are the more interesting parts of town, in the musicians sense of things. Looking for that part of town that has the cool used record shops, clothing stores and music shops.

Any suggestions?

• Members

Mmmmm.. .. Eugene person here. Actually Springfield, but I work in Eugene. There are a couple cd shops, one is House of Records that has lots of old vinyl and used cd's. That's 258 E. 13th. The other is CD World, out on 3215 W. 11th. You can hoist a few pints at any number of brew pubs, if that's your thing.

There's the Steelhead Brewery, 199 E. 5th St, and also shopping at 5th St. Public Market just a block or two east as well as some good eats. Cornucopia on 295 W. 17th St has several micros on tap, though itself not a brew pub. There are two McMenamin's in town, you can google up either. They brew their own and have great pub food too. Then there's the Rogue River Brewing Co. on 844 Olive St., very close to the Hult Center. Gotta try some Dead Man Ale there. I'd be remiss if I didn't pimp for Mezza Luna Pizzeria on 933 Pearl St. downtown, that's some damn fine pie.

• Members

Near-in South East and North West are your best bets.

Record shops: Music Millennium, Every Day Music

Instrument Dealers: Apple Music, Portland Music

Clothing: Buffalo Gap, or any of the dozens of shops on NW 21st or SW Burnside and Hawthorne

I'd be more specific, but Mrs. Thumper just put supper on the table. More later...

• Members

Stay in Portland..everything else in Oregon pretty much blows. That is unless you go to Newport, OR and visit the Rogue brewery. I like to think of Oregon as Washingtons Mexico.

Dan

Rogue has a pub in Eugene, we truck in pallets of bottles and kegs to them. Also, it's well worth the drive from Nantucket to Elkton, Oregon just to eat at Tomaselli's. Great pizza and the cookies and baclava are to die for. Then there are the wineries all over the coastal mountain range and up and down the valley. There are things to come visit for. But those things have to be your thing too. It sure as hell ain't Manhattan. ;)

• Members

Stay in Portland..everything else in Oregon pretty much blows. That is unless you go to Newport, OR and visit the Rogue brewery. I like to think of Oregon as Washingtons Mexico.

Dan

If you go all the way east, in Oregon, Hell's Canyon is a kick ass place to visit. Not so much at this time of year.

• Members

Dan

Ahem...

Hood River: Windsurfing Mecca.

Mount Hood and Timberline Lodge: Skiing, camping and hiking paradise.

Ashland: Oregon Shakespeare Theater.

Pendleton: Rodeo and the Pendleton Woolen Mills. Real Men Wear Wool. :D

Joseph: Snake River Canyon, Wallowa Lake, and one of the few bronze foundries left in the US.

Tillamook: Cheese. Damn good stuff, at that, and that's coming from a guy who grew up in Green Bay.

I like PDX, but there's a lot more out there. Get your butt out of North Bend.

:wave:

• Members

Hood River: Windsurfing Mecca.

Mount Hood and Timberline Lodge: Skiing, camping and hiking paradise.

Ashland: Oregon Shakespeare Theater.

Pendleton: Rodeo and the Pendleton Woolen Mills. Real Men Wear Wool.
:D

Joseph: Snake River Canyon, Wallowa Lake, and one of the few bronze foundries left in the US.

Tillamook: Cheese. Damn good stuff, at that, and that's coming from a guy who grew up in Green Bay.

I like PDX, but there's a lot more out there. Get your butt out of North Bend.

:wave:

I should say that it sucks for me because we have a young'n and Oregon requires that you drive at least two hours to get to anything good..at least that's the way it is for me.

Dan

• Members

I should say that it sucks for me because we have a young'n and Oregon requires that you drive at least two hours to get to anything good..at least that's the way it is for me.

Dan

Meh.

I live on an island, so pretty much everything (groceries, banking, truck parts....) is most of my day gone. Kinda sucks, but kinda nice at the same time.

• Moderators

So my better half and I are heading down to Washington and Oregon next week and since I don't know Oregon I thought I'd ask some who do!

Where in Portland/Eugene are the more interesting parts of town, in the musicians sense of things. Looking for that part of town that has the cool used record shops, clothing stores and music shops.

Any suggestions?

Wish I could help, but I'm right between Portland and Eugene. :(

• Members

Any knife fans from Oregon?

I'm also trying to find a nice mom&pop/indie knife store. And they're always a bitch to try and find online. My luck so far has been zip.

Gerber, Kershaw and Benchmade are all in the PDX area. I'll see what I can find about a mom & pop store for you.

Edit: George & Son Cutlery, 424 SW Washington Street in downtown Portland.

Archived