Contemplating a new bass project...

Rowka

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

The Graph Tech piezos will not leave you wanting for good bass sounds - I don't know whether the Graph Tech solution is a direct fit for for the V-Bass, or you'd need their pickup.

Personally, a slab body devoid of pickups disturbs me. But then, slab bodies in general disturb me. If it were sculpted in some manner.....

• Members

threadbump cause I wanna know where can I get these midi guts? This graphtec/piezo/13pinout is intriguing me. I want to know more.
I've been contemplating a project very similar to this, but I wanna do a hollow (F holed) J body, fretless, (What else?), midi capable with mag pups, piezo and a way to blend/mix/match. I also wanna combine a BEAD tuning as well. Only thing missing here would be the 8 or 12 string version. Let's just try 4 for now.
Another thought I had was using lightwave guts to drive a midi module but I don't know much about them.

Any enlightenment out there?

• Members

I've been eyeing a Warmoth project for a few days now, because I can't afford to drop $1000 on a new bass, but I could spend $200 a month on parts and build it over the course of a few months...

C7

That's how I've been doing mine, spread out the cost over the build time. Whatcha got in mind?

• Members
That's how I've been doing mine, spread out the cost over the build time. Whatcha got in mind?

Passive Deluxe 5 with a single MM pickup, walnut body with birdseye maple neck and fretboard, black TK bridge and black Schaller BML Lite tuners. Medium jumbo frets. Finish the body in a light tung oil. A little over $700 all told.

My only problem would be, if I had all the parts I could assemble the bass in about a day. It would KILL me to wait on parts.:D
C7

• Members

Man you have no idea!
:cry:

Sounds cool though, you should do it.
:cool:

I ordered all my parts at once and its still killing me to wait on them.

Hopefully they'll come this week, at least some of them anyways. :cry:

Even still when I get the pickups and preamp in, and the tuners on the neck I'll have to send it off to get the neck and bridge put on and setup, and that might take a few weeks because of the backlog. :cry::cry::cry:

• Members

achtung, do yo uhave to pay import duties when yo uship stuff from the US?

There's a small loophole ;)

For complete basses I'd have to pay 21% VAT + 3.7% (for electric, 3.2% for acoustic) Customs fee. :mad:

But for parts, because they aren't the end product or a completed useable product then no VAT or customs fees!! :)

• Members

interesting.

If its your own basses/guitars that you're importing then I don't know what the story would be. Best to speak to customs before you bring them in from the states if you are?

Oh yeah, just a small totally unrelated note. If you're bringing a car over from the UK they'll screw you on this crappy tax called VRT (vehicle registration tax) It can be up to a couple of thousand depending on the age, mileage, size of your car.

Archived