Contemplating a new bass project...

Rowka

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

J = Snooze Fest

You need something pointy.

Also, you should still route it for pickups, but fill the cavities with LEDs.

I was just going to say that for a project like this, it HAS to be put into the Z body! Afterall that was first made by Zeta for their 80's Mirror synth guitar, and having now held and played a Z bass I can say that it's one totally comfortable bass to play. Plus it, well, kind of is pointy.;)

• Members

I don't know about that Z body. I kinda thought about it, but it doen't really do anything for me.

I was thinking big silver flake paint job (like the Modulus Flea bass) on an otherwise unadorned Jazz. With matching headstock, fingerboard and neck.

• Members

I don't know about that Z body. I kinda thought about it, but it doen't really do anything for me.

I was thinking big silver flake paint job (like the Modulus Flea bass) on an otherwise unadorned Jazz. With matching headstock, fingerboard and neck.

If you saw an actual one assembled, in metallic silver even with a matching headstock and all maple neck, you'd change your mind.;)

• Members

Change my mind meaning I'd like the Z bass...

or meaning I'd not like the J?

I think a lot of people would be suprised by the Z. It really looks different in real life than those body only photo's make it look. It's unusual, but still hangs very well, positions the neck in an ideal spot and is super nice to play. Probably not a bass most would like visually without seeing a real one, but ergonomically they are very had to dismiss.:cool:

• Members

Here is my philosophical dilemma:

The Roland V-Bass is a fantastic bit of kit. It really is. With the GK-2(3)B (or piezo setup as described above) it really reduces the actual bass to a platform for mounting strings and takes the "bass" out of the equation.

I can easily mount the Roland pup onto any bass that I own but I enjoy the sounds of my basses too much to feel good about utilizing the V-Bass with them.

Gee, if I'm gonna bring the Ric (or Alembic, or Yamaha, or Pedulla, etc) out I'm gonna want it to sound like the Ric (or Alembic, or Yamaha, or Pedulla, etc).

On the other hand, I don't want to get into a $1000-plus project bass right now.

Why do I torture myself like this?

Archived