Your Favorite Single-Pickup Bass?

blueyedmule

• Members
That Precision needs a maple neck. And no, putting a rosewood neck on the Stingray is not an acceptable alternative.

I'm actually thinking about putting a tort pickguard on that Precision... to go with the dark (tort/rosewood) theme as opposed to the light (white pearl/maple) theme.. Yes, I love my Stingray with the maple board. :D

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Moderators

Hmmm. . .maybe. . . .see, the point of this thread (unannounced) is to brainstorm for a platform to mount up my Dimarzio X2N-B. I need a little narrower string spacing than my Precision offers. What does your string spacing measure on that bass around, say, where you'd mount a MM pickup?

Traditionally, string spacing increases as you move closer to the bridge. If you need narrower spacing you need to mount it closer to the neck or use a narrower bridge.

• Members

can't answer that off the top of my head but It does have a Bad Ass bridge , which I think would determin that . Hey maybe you need a different bridge , something with adjustable spacing .

I could put a Schaller roller bridge on, I've got a BAII bridge now. I'd still have the problem with the pickup being routed right next to the bridge of the bass it's in now, and moving the pickup to where it'd sound best would put it nearly on top of the P pup. I'd like to try it in it's own bass. But the Schaller definitely is what I'll use, or something similarly adjustable.

• Members

I could put a Schaller roller bridge on, I've got a BAII bridge now. I'd still have the problem with the pickup being routed right next to the bridge of the bass it's in now, and moving the pickup to where it'd sound best would put it nearly on top of the P pup. I'd like to try it in it's own bass. But the Schaller definitely is what I'll use, or something similarly adjustable.

ok stupid question , is that not a "blade" or "rail" pickup ? Do you have pics or a link for this puppy .

• Moderators

Also has at least somewhat to do with what neck you use also, no? As in, nut width.

Yes. Given a particular body/bridge the nut width will affect string spacing, but at an order of magnitude so low it isn't usually worth considering. For example, check the string spacing on a P and a J at the same distance from the bridge. Because of the identical bridge, the spacing is extremely similar, despite the different nut width.

• Members

Yes. Given a particular body/bridge the nut width will affect string spacing, but at an order of magnitude so low it isn't usually worth considering. For example, check the string spacing on a P and a J at the same distance from the bridge. Because of the identical bridge, the spacing is extremely similar, despite the different nut width.

same bridge right , but different sized pickups , neck being more narrow a wee hair .

• Members

It's right at the bridge on the bass it's in now, and the E string is actually just outside the upper edge of the blade/rail and the G is barely inside the blade. I'd think that to be properly mounted, there should be at least a little of the blade/rail showing outside the E and G string. I pitched the question to Dimarzio techs and should hear back in a day or two. Anyway, it's a badly mounted pickup as it stands, and my new project/idea is to showcase the pickup properly by itself in a bass suitable sonically/lookwise etc. to the pickup. So the brainstorming. I'm split between trying to mount it up in something like an OLP MM, ATK, etc., or otherwise going Warmoth etc.

• Members

That is a blade/rail pickup and the strings do not have to align perfectly over pole pieces because there are none. As long as the strings fit inside the outer edges of the rails, you should get even response.

Yup. Understood that. It's the width issue, since the blade/rail isn't very wide compared to many soapbars on the market. And my rotten placement of the pickup in the bass it's presently in.

• Members
hmmm.... tough one , I use a DiMarzio Split p , best pickup ever
:lol:
ok back to square 1 .

I've become a HUGE fan of Dimarzio pickups. I think in the bass world they tend to be forgotten or relegated to second-class, or simply overlooked. I would be happy to have nothing but Dimarzio pickups in my basses. I'm pretty close to that as it is, at least amongst the basses I've tinkered with.

I think Kindness and I are on the same page, I understand I don't need to worry about alignment because there are no pole pieces. I know I need to be concerned with overall width from E-G to make sure I'm getting proper coverage overall.

I guess the question now is, how do you locate the sweet spot on a given bass to know where to put a single pickup? Is there a science to it at all??

Keep bringin' those single-pickup monsters. It's good to admire simplicity at it's best!

• Moderators

I guess the question now is, how do you locate the sweet spot on a given bass to know where to put a single pickup? Is there a science to it at all??

It is the science of successive approximation. Leo Fender did it by rigging up a 2x4 with a bridge and tuners and kept mounting the pickups until he found sweet spots he liked.

• Members

I've become a HUGE fan of Dimarzio pickups. I think in the bass world they tend to be forgotten or relegated to second-class, or simply overlooked. I would be happy to have nothing but Dimarzio pickups in my basses. I'm pretty close to that as it is, at least amongst the basses I've tinkered with.

I think Kindness and I are on the same page, I understand I don't need to worry about alignment because there are no pole pieces. I know I need to be concerned with overall width from E-G to make sure I'm getting proper coverage overall.

Keep bringin' those single-pickup monsters. It's good to admire simplicity at it's best!

yeah that pickup seems like they used a guitar pickup bobbin , very narrow , like a steinberger or some Alembics I have seen . I would not want the string hanging past the magnet , this would defeat the purpose and probably give unevn output , maybe maybe not . Unless you can fit it in there , get a split p if you want that humbucker "rail" sound , they are Amazing . Good luck !

• Members

It is the science of successive approximation. Leo Fender did it by rigging up a 2x4 with a bridge and tuners and kept mounting the pickups until he found sweet spots he liked.

Yup. And it varies from instrument to instrument as well. Was it the Gibson Grabber that had the slider pickups on some of their basses that you could move forward and back to change the tone? I think so, but I'm not sure.

• Members

Yup. And it varies from instrument to instrument as well. Was it the Gibson Grabber that had the slider pickups on some of their basses that you could move forward and back to change the tone? I think so, but I'm not sure.

yeah I think so , Didn't Dan Armstrong do that too .

• Members

The bass luknfur over at talkbass used for his pickup reviews just has one long route in it.:eek: Since he's constantly pulling out different pickups that makes sense. Mmmmm. . . .I guess what I'll end up doing is looking at different of my basses that I like and see what the measurements are for pickup spacing and what harmonics are directly over the pickup.

• Members

I remember seeing a bass with rails that you could slide the pups around on. It was mad! Dunno if it was a Grabber without a good googlin' session.

Archived