Does anybody here like short scale basses for slappin? Dano longhorns in particular.

BEAD

• Members

I don't do much slapping in band situations... but when I pick up my bass the first thing I want to do is slap it anyway.

So... I'm in search of a good cheap bass I can slap the {censored} out of.

Fighting the heavy gauge flats on my 35 scale peavey just isn't cutting it.

I'm in love with dano longhorns, but I've never plugged one in, and the only ones I see for sale round here are in the classifieds.

What say you? Oh wise folk of bass?

• Members

I'd like to learn more about short scale basses too because I might be buying one in the next month. So any info here on anything related to short scale basses is good.

I'm in love with dano longhorns but the only shop in town that currently has one has an original 1967 or whatever... and I can't afford to collect actual vintage basses... only reissues.

:D

• Members

What would short/long scale have to do with slapping?

Shorter scale = looser strings..

In general.

Of course gauge of the strings, matters too, as well as the way the neck is attached to the bass and so on...

...but in general, short scale basses tend to be looser, have more of an upright tone to them... which makes them a definite maybe for slappin, meh.

• Members

In general.

Of course gauge of the strings, matters too, as well as the way the neck is attached to the bass and so on...

...but in general, short scale basses tend to be looser, have more of an upright tone to them... which makes them a definite maybe for slappin, meh.

{censored}, does anyone know if the Gibson SG basses have loose strings? I like high and tight strings.

• Members

I've got a short scale Fender Mustang reisuue. I find the string spacing as a little tight for slapping, but not so tight that I can't get used to it. Actually, the slapping is not the problem, it's the popping - getting that finger under the string for the pop. It just takes a few minutes to get used to if I switch basses.

• Members

In general.

See the notes that I made about this on the "Mango Bass Project" thread.

I am currently experimenting with string gauges because my shortscale was buzzing and I thought it was set-up problems. Turns out that it was because I put regular 34" strings on my 30" bass. Kindness helped me see that. A string that's designed to be 45lbs across 34" will drop tension significantly if just 30" of it is used.

We started reading the string tensions and noticed that at least 1 string string maker sells a "shortscale" set and they only did what I did: they took a regular string and cut it short--as opposed to taking a 30" string and bringing it to the tension we'd expect.

Hence, the strings tend to be looser. And I had the buzzing problem. That means higher action. For finger stuff I make it work. For slap, I'm just plain disoriented with that higher action.

So, instead of shortscale strings, I'm going with heavier gauges than I'd use on my 34".

I've found sources for the purchase of single strings and I'm experimenting & writing notes.

Currently my shortie is strung: 110 100 80 65. The first 3 strings are ok, but I need a more flexible highest string because sometimes I like to grab it with my whole hand for a N-A-S-T-Y pop. Gonna try a 55 in place of the 65 & see if that does it.

• Members

I don't do much slapping in band situations... but when I pick up my bass the first thing I want to do is slap it anyway.

So... I'm in search of a good cheap bass I can slap the shit out of.

Fighting the heavy gauge flats on my 35 scale peavey just isn't cutting it.

I'm in love with dano longhorns, but I've never plugged one in, and the only ones I see for sale round here are in the classifieds.

What say you? Oh wise folk of bass?

Warning: those Longhorns are U-G-L-Y. And the sight of them has set many a woman's stomach to gurgling. :cop: Ix-nay the Onghorn-Lay.

• Members

Warning: those Longhorns are U-G-L-Y. And the sight of them has set many a woman's stomach to gurgling.
:cop:
Ix-nay the Onghorn-Lay.

Too bad you don't know what you're talking about; on more than one ocassion a lovely lady has said how much she likes my cute little green bass!

My Longhorn basses, 6-string and 4-string:

longhorns.jpg

• Members

Longhorns are awesome. And as texasbassplayer said, chicks dig interesting looking basses. No ticky tack for me, though. I am going to have one custom made at some point with a P pickup.

Look around for one of the Hondo Longhorns... Full scale with a P pickup. Surprisingly well made, great playing axes. I had a chance at one and it slipped away while I was wrestling with the decision!

-r

• Moderators
Look around for one of the Hondo Longhorns... Full scale with a P pickup. Surprisingly well made, great playing axes. I had a chance at one and it slipped away while I was wrestling with the decision!

-r

There was one on ebay awhile ago. I didn't pull the trigger. I'm still kicking myself.:cry:

• Members

-r

I had one for years, sold it to a buddy with the promise that if I ever want it back he'd sell it to me. I play it when I go over to his house.

Archived