wiring.

Tattoo Drums

• Members

I have an ampeg 8x10. and an Avatar 8ohm 410neo, I want to replace 4 of the speakers in my 8x10 for now with the Neo's out of my avatar. Since the ampegs use the 32ohm eminences. My question is,

Are the speakers in the ampeg wired, the top 4 wired parallel/parallel and the wired parallel with the bottom 4. or is it different.

If so Shouldnt I be able to throw the 4 Neos in and as long as they are wired in 8ohms it flow with the bottom 4?

Im stumped b.c I dont know how the 8x10 is initially wired. Any help?

• Moderators

theres nothing wrong with the speakers in the 8x10, I just want to put the neos in it, b.c they handle more. My 8x10 is an older early 80's maybe late 70's

Are you running out of excursion in the 8x10? Are you just saying the neos have a higher thermal rating? I don't know how the fridge is wired, but I've never known anyone that wanted to replace the stock drivers in that cab if they were functional.

• Members

Are you running out of excursion in the 8x10? Are you just saying the neos have a higher thermal rating? I don't know how the fridge is wired, but I've never known anyone that wanted to replace the stock drivers in that cab if they were functional.

the stock drivers are ok, but they tend to kind of be pushed when playing slap on them. like they reached their limit. I plan to go all neo in it, But for now want to put the 4 I have.

• Members

the cab sounds great when you play rock sound through it. But when playing pop and slap, it seems as if the speakers reach their limit. and kind of distort a bit. Hard to describe. Like I was saying, I pla to put all neo in it, or atleast put the 4 neo's I have it in, and then upgrade the other 4 to eminence legend BP102, (which is what the newer 8x10's have in them). So id have 4 neos and 4 legends. I like the sound of the neos, but I love the bulkyness of the 8x10. Make sense?

But for now, I want to see about getting the neos into the mix?.

• Members

I don't know a heckuva lot about speaker & cabinet design, but I do know that the likelihood those speakers will work properly and sound the way you want them to is kinda slim. There is a little more to it than I have a hole...and I'm going to put a speaker in it. Cabinet manufacturers design cabinets around speakers...and speakers around cabinets...

They could also work fine...like I said, I don't know too much about it. I would do a lot more research before you do though...

• Members

I don't know a heckuva lot about speaker & cabinet design, but I do know that the likelihood those speakers will work properly and sound the way you want them to is kinda slim. There is a little more to it than I have a hole...and I'm going to put a speaker in it. Cabinet manufacturers design cabinets around speakers...and speakers around cabinets...

They could also work fine...like I said, I don't know too much about it. I would do a lot more research before you do though...

I met a guy who replaced the speakers in his 8x10 with the Neos, and it sounded great. I know it will work. But just need help with the wiring.

Obviously there is more to it than, I have a speaker lets put it in this hole. But I think doing 4 neos, and 4 legends. I would think it would be no different than running 2 4x10's with 2 different speakers (example: avatar neo and ampeg svt410he sealed no ports)

Anyways, thanks for the info I will let you know how the end product turns out.

• Members

I met a guy who replaced the speakers in his 8x10 with the Neos, and it sounded great. I know it will work. But just need help with the wiring.

Obviously there is more to it than, I have a speaker lets put it in this hole. But I think doing 4 neos, and 4 legends. I would think it would be no different than running 2 4x10's with 2 different speakers (example: avatar neo and ampeg svt410he sealed no ports)

Anyways, thanks for the info I will let you know how the end product turns out.

Well, I'm talking about the internal volume of the box, the length of the port tubes, things like that need to be taken into consideration. Ask Burdizzos...he'll tell you exactly how it is...

• Members

I contacted eminence and they are sending me a spec sheet via email on the exact speakers. they said they will work in a sealed enclosure. Which is how the 8x10s are set up. 4 2x10s with a center baffle. But thanks for the info anyway.

Im a trial and error type of guy. Let you know how it turns out.

guitargod0dmw,

I check out your bands myspace. From the pics you are about as bad as me with gear. I think you had a dif. cabinet in each pic from what I could see. Im forever changing cabinets. But always go back to an 8x10. Despite what people think of them. I also love my warwicks!

• Members

guitargod0dmw,

I check out your bands myspace. From the pics you are about as bad as me with gear. I think you had a dif. cabinet in each pic from what I could see. Im forever changing cabinets. But always go back to an 8x10. Despite what people think of them. I also love my warwicks!

I own all of those cabinets...except for the SWR 12 Stack. It totally depends on the size of the gig that we're playing to what cabs I bring. I usually stick with smaller stuff unless we're on a big stage or I want to "look" cool with a full stack. I like a variety...

And...I'm not bad with gear...it's intentional.

• Members

And...I'm not bad with gear...it's intentional.

Same here, Im not bad with gear. I actually own a bunch of stuff. When I got out of the Army and went back to Tattooing and started making mad bank again, I splurged on a bunch of stuff. I just sold off 9 basses, 2 heads, 2 cabinets. Still have 11 basses, 3 heads, and 7 cabinets. and not including the guitar stuff I have, and Drums. My house is running out of room. I guess I should buy a bigger house.

Archived