Design my new rig: smaller footprint, same big sound!

Clatter

• Members

I'm not going to lie, this thread makes me want to build an entire new rig for Amy that does what she needs only better and handmade. It would be a great way to combine my love of building and my love of creative design.

Do it!!!

I'm just about to PM you again... Don/LDS seems on board for my Guitarded Bass combo idea :thu:

(not as involved as Amy's rig... but also involves the lack of need for guitarists)

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Moderators
Do it!!!

I'm just about to PM you again... Don/LDS seems on board for my Guitarded Bass combo idea
:thu:
(not as involved as Amy's rig... but also involves the lack of need for guitarists)

I'm glad Don is on board. It should be a unique creation. Nothing I would have made for myself, but definitely something I'm excited to be a part of.

• Members

I assume you will want to keep your pedal board intact and bring whatever instruments are necessary. My guess is the biggest savings will be on the amp and cabinet side of things. Do you need to maintain the same volume?

Basic goal = three channels of amplification for clean, effected and distorted?

If so, as a first thought, a stereo pre (or two small mono pres) into a stereo power amp can cover your clean and effected and your distorted can come from another smaller amp. Like L-1329 suggests, a 2x12 is going to be enough for the Mesa sound.

To piggyback on the idea of down-sizing the Recto half-stack, actually Mesa makes some damned nice 1x12 cabs, too. Same Rectifier cabinet design, just, obviously a smaller box with only one speaker.

Also, by that same line of thinking, I have a Rect-O-Verb combo (50 watts, 1x12 speaker) that will approximately do what a Dual Rec can do, with the addition of reverb. I might recommend checking this out. You'd need a road case with wheels and good side handles, though. My combo is completely impractical to move in a band setting. As it's a tube combo amp, it's heavy--and the only handle it has is the leather handle on the top. Talk about a back/shin/groin buster. As far as the tone goes, I've always thought it had more personality than a Dual Rectifier...at least for guitar.

• Members
To piggyback on the idea of down-sizing the Recto half-stack, actually Mesa makes some damned nice 1x12 cabs, too. Same Rectifier cabinet design, just, obviously a smaller box with only one speaker.

Also, by that same line of thinking, I have a Rect-O-Verb combo (50 watts, 1x12 speaker) that will approximately do what a Dual Rec can do, with the addition of reverb. I might recommend checking this out. You'd need a road case with wheels and good side handles, though. My combo is completely impractical to move in a band setting. As it's a tube combo amp, it's heavy--and the only handle it has is the leather handle on the top. Talk about a back/shin/groin buster. As far as the tone goes, I've always thought it had more personality than a Dual Rectifier...at least for guitar.

Our worship leader uses a Studio .22 112 combo for church w/ his custom USA Jackson Soloist. :) It's pretty rad.

• Members

They don't make a Dual Rec combo. They make a Road King combo or a Roadster combo...which are both very similar to a Dual Rec...but they have more bells & whistles. The Road King is insane. I want one...

They used to make Dual Recto Combos...back in the 90s, I believe. I ~think~ I saw one once. A guitarist friend of my drummer at the time had the Dual Rectifier Head and 4x12 cab, but decided he wanted to go with something different, so he kept the 4x12 and was using a Fender 2x12 Combo of some sort with the addition of 1/2 of the 4x12 speakers, then he had the alleged Dual Rectifier 2x12 combo pushing the other half of the 4x12. Insane.

I'm 88.5% sure it was a Dual Rectifier.

• Members

Also, if you're just looking to shrink the footpring, you can go the 2x12 or 1x12 Rectifier cab route and perhaps swap the Dual Rectifier head for a rack-mount Dual Rectifier and put that in the bass rack. Then put your new, smaller cab on top of the SWR rig. I'd hate to have to lift that rack, but it would shrink the footprint. I believe you would give up a channel on the Rectifier, though. I think they stopped making those before they went 3-channel.

• Members

Oooh! European tour! You weren't planning on a short visit to Norway, were you? :idea:

What is the point of bi or tri amping? If you want to add distortion to your signal, why would you want another amp to stay clean?

Sorry to hijack thread, I'm just confused by all those amps.

You get a very distinct and different sound when you run both clean and distorted signals at once through separate rigs. Try it someday, and you'll be amazed what the difference is.

• Members

What is the point of bi or tri amping? If you want to add distortion to your signal, why would you want another amp to stay clean?

Sorry to hijack thread, I'm just confused by all those amps.

Amy has a set clean tone... to add distortion she kicks in a second amp to add a set distorted tone to her existing clean tone.... no loss of that clean foundation. Same thing with her fx

[YOUTUBE]PCy6CqZaLTI[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]kT-Un3PX0uk[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]kMX8VjxwGKc[/YOUTUBE]

• Members

You get a very distinct and different sound when you run both clean and distorted signals at once through separate rigs. Try it someday, and you'll be amazed what the difference is.

+1. Exactly.

Also, a lot of FX suck low end out...distortions too. If you've got one dry rig mixed with an wet rig, you'll always have a nice low end like any bass should.

Triamping is the same concept...it just separates it even more. You can get a killer distortion on the top end, a nice fat low end, and then a wet amp to mix in as well.

I've biamped with my 5150 for distortion/highs, and any of my bass amps for the clean lows. It sounds killer.

• Members

This thread just gave me an idea. I have a Rectoverb head I was going to sell, and 212 and 412 bass cabs. I think I'll split the line and run one into the Mesa to the 212, and the other to the GBE750 and the 412 and see what happens...:evil:

• Members
This thread just gave me an idea. I have a Rectoverb head I was going to sell, and 212 and 412 bass cabs. I think I'll split the line and run one into the Mesa to the 212, and the other to the GBE750 and the 412 and see what happens...
:evil:

I predict sonic badassedness! :evil:

• Moderators

This thread just gave me an idea. I have a Rectoverb head I was going to sell, and 212 and 412 bass cabs. I think I'll split the line and run one into the Mesa to the 212, and the other to the GBE750 and the 412 and see what happens...

I used a Trace SM7 eq to take some lows out and run into a Marshall JCM600 head with a bit of chorus in the FX loop into an avatar 112 bass cab. Sounded killer. Try it.

As for Amy's small deal. . . . . . . .3 Mesa Walkabout Scouts.

• Members

WoW

Don't fall in love too much. That'll be a hassle to bring along to gigs.

Man. That has to sound good though.

• Members

+1. Exactly.

Also, a lot of FX suck low end out...distortions too. If you've got one dry rig mixed with an wet rig, you'll always have a nice low end like any bass should.

Triamping is the same concept...it just separates it even more. You can get a killer distortion on the top end, a nice fat low end, and then a wet amp to mix in as well.

I've biamped with my 5150 for distortion/highs, and any of my bass amps for the clean lows. It sounds killer.

Will the audience notice all this amping?

• Members
WoW

Don't fall in love too much. That'll be a hassle to bring along to gigs.

Man. That has to sound good though.

Here's the thing, the only part I don't already take is the Mesa head, so that's all I'm adding! I just got it wired up, now I'm going to go play in the dirt.;)

• Members

Amy's band consist of a drummer and a bassist. You can be damn sure the sound of the bass matters.

Of course it matters. I am just wondering if live the complexity of such a rig (especially on a foreign tour) should be primary.

Amy herself is asking for advice on simplifying.

• Members
I hate to post and run, but I have to go pick my kitty up at the vet hospital where she's been in ICU for a couple days.
:(
But I thought I'd start this thread real quick and come back this evening.

I have a quandary and I'm hoping you gear heads can help me out. I need to scale down my rig for our tour of Europe but I don't want to lose my big sound and great tone. Is it possible?!?! Any suggestions on how I can put it together?

Amy

Are you spec'ing for the European rider? Or, do you have to bring your backline?

If your spec'ing, include what you really want/have to have. The backline folks will tote that stuff for ya. They do for us anyway.

• Members

Why not just go with two of those SWR Red Head combos (one clean; one effected) and a small Mesa 1x12" or 2x12" combo? Do you really need all that power?

Alternatively, you could always go for a pair of Aguilar 1x12+horn or Bag End 1x15+coax cabs driven by a stereo head (one channel clean; the other effected) and a Mesa combo for grind.

• Members

for even more fun, use an octave up pedal after the split, and feed the guitar amp that signal instead.

:cool:

• Members

They don't make a Dual Rec combo. They make a Road King combo or a Roadster combo...which are both very similar to a Dual Rec...but they have more bells & whistles. The Road King is insane. I want one...

My guitarist has a Road King, which he's looking to trade into a Marshall half stack - just thought I'd mention it...

- georgestrings

Archived