Design my new rig: smaller footprint, same big sound!

Clatter

• Members

I hate to post and run, but I have to go pick my kitty up at the vet hospital where she's been in ICU for a couple days. :( But I thought I'd start this thread real quick and come back this evening.

I have a quandary and I'm hoping you gear heads can help me out. I need to scale down my rig for our tour of Europe but I don't want to lose my big sound and great tone. Is it possible?!?! Any suggestions on how I can put it together?

If for some reason you aren't already familiar with my setup (could it be possible?!) here's a link that gives you an idea: Amy's Too Much Stuff

I know if anyone can advise me it's you guys!! :wave:

Amy

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Moderators

I assume you will want to keep your pedal board intact and bring whatever instruments are necessary. My guess is the biggest savings will be on the amp and cabinet side of things. Do you need to maintain the same volume?

Basic goal = three channels of amplification for clean, effected and distorted?

If so, as a first thought, a stereo pre (or two small mono pres) into a stereo power amp can cover your clean and effected and your distorted can come from another smaller amp. Like L-1329 suggests, a 2x12 is going to be enough for the Mesa sound.

• Members

I think the Mesa is what you don't absolutely need. You can get your distortion through something programmable (you might get away with your VF1) and send as much or little to the redhead and henry as you need.

You realize anything is going to be a compromise of sorts, but, I think that arrangement would get you closer to what you have than anything else I can think of. On the upside, without that mesa blaring away your stage volume would be much more manageable too. ;)

• Members

I assume you will want to keep your pedal board intact and bring whatever instruments are necessary. My guess is the biggest savings will be on the amp and cabinet side of things. Do you need to maintain the same volume?

Basic goal = three channels of amplification for clean, effected and distorted?

If so, as a first thought, a stereo pre (or two small mono pres) into a stereo power amp can cover your clean and effected and your distorted can come from another smaller amp. Like L-1329 suggests, a 2x12 is going to be enough for the Mesa sound.

That was gonna be my idea as well, if you could get away w/ the clean and effected through one rig and keep your disto on another, w/ a smaller cab.

• Members

Aw, see, I knew you guys would have lots of great ideas!! :love::thu:

Okay, here's what i can tell you:

* I will be taking my basses and pedals and renting the rest.

* I would like to have separate amps for distorted, clean, and effected. I really would prefer to be able to separate the sounds since I A/B/C them.

I'm not really sure about volume; this might be a better question for Grant and Jazz Ad, my two hero booking agents. They might know if I'd be mic-ing or using stage volume or what. Here in the States I really heavily on stage volume for my tone and just so I can hear without monitors.

So what if I got a Redhead for the effected channel, like I use now, then got a couple of other combo amps? I should try playing clean through my Redhead and A/B that with my SM-900 to see if I can get a comparable sound; then I guess I could rent two Redheads. I like the idea of using a 210, that could sound really nice.

You guys rock! Okay, NOW I'm going to go pick up kitty! :)

• Members

So what if I got a Redhead for the effected channel, like I use now, then got a couple of other combo amps? I should try playing clean through my Redhead and A/B that with my SM-900 to see if I can get a comparable sound; then I guess I could rent two Redheads. I like the idea of using a 210, that could sound really nice.

You guys rock! Okay, NOW I'm going to go pick up kitty!
:)

I think that idea would work really well. Use two Redheads, 1 for fx, 1 for clean, and then some guitar combo amp for the distortion. You could try and find a Mesa Dual Rectifier combo, it probably wouldn't be all that hard, and I'd say try and find it in a 1x12 even. If you crank it, you should still get the volume you need and the footprint would be much smaller.

• Members

You could try and find a Mesa Dual Rectifier combo, it probably wouldn't be all that hard, and I'd say try and find it in a 1x12 even.

They don't make a Dual Rec combo. They make a Road King combo or a Roadster combo...which are both very similar to a Dual Rec...but they have more bells & whistles. The Road King is insane. I want one...

• Members

They don't make a Dual Rec combo. They make a Road King combo or a Roadster combo...which are both very similar to a Dual Rec...but they have more bells & whistles. The Road King is insane. I want one...

+11.

I don't even play guitar, but with that head, I'd start!! :D

• Members

I could swear that a guitarist in my old band had a Dual Rectifier combo, must have been a Single, maybe? All I know is it was some kind of Rectifier combo.

Yeah, the Road King is a total beast. It can give you all the distortion you need and then some.

• Members

Could have been that. The main thing I remember is that it had the potential to really sound amazing, but he always EQ'd it so horribly that it was always a muddy mess.

Also remember that even the Single Recto's are still dual channel, so could've been that and fit your description.

Archived