Anyone here use a Dvorak keyboard setup?

King Kashue

• Members
I know SteveyDevey does.Haven't seen him around in a while, though...

:confused:

I posted IN the typing thread that I use it. :D

I started learning it when I was in high school, but didn't have the dedication to stick to it, and constantly switched back to qwerty, since I could type about 90wpm in qwerty.

Once I finally gave it my attention years later, I found that it feels much more natural and is a lot easier on the hands/wrists/digits.

The strangest thing was that when I learned dvorak, I actually forgot qwerty. I had to relearn it, which took a week or so to get back to normal.

I've never owned an actual dvorak keyboard, but I'd like to. They're just prohibitively expensive for virtually no benefit. You can switch to dvorak in all major (and most minor) operating systems with ease, and you shouldn't be looking at your fingers anyway, so there's really not a lot of reason to buy one.

I usually just pop the keys off and rearrange them if I want to give one to somebody, but they still have to change their settings in their OS.

• Members

Looks interesting, but apart from less stress on the hands (as mentioned by SteveyDevey) I don't really see any benefits.

Isn't the QWERTY layout arranged so that the most common letters are in the best spot anyway?

No, QWERTY was invented in the mechanical typewriter days and laid out to minimise jamming. It was not designed with typing ease in mind. Now that we don't typically use mechanical typewriters and therefore aren't worried about keys jamming the same way, we should theoretically switch to a keyboard layout which is intended to minimise typing stress. QWERTY is so firmly entrenched though that I don't think any alternative layouts will come to mainstream acceptance anytime soon. Maybe in 15 years it might be a thought.

I've always wanted to learn Dvorak though.

• Members
No, QWERTY was invented in the mechanical typewriter days and laid out to minimise jamming. It was not designed with typing ease in mind. Now that we don't typically use mechanical typewriters and therefore aren't worried about keys jamming the same way, we should theoretically switch to a keyboard layout which is intended to minimise typing stress. QWERTY is so firmly entrenched though that I don't think any alternative layouts will come to mainstream acceptance anytime soon. Maybe in 15 years it might be a thought.

Damn, I am finding more and more that my Private Education was really pretty {censored}e.

• Members

Yup. It was made to suck.

FYI: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dvorak_Simplified_Keyboard

Archived