had an offer to buy my soundgear

poomwah

• Members

maybe its a sign, had someone offer me 700 dollars for it. I can't find a band. Here's another day I'm sitting online instead of practicing. I am just so bored playing along with mp3s. I tried writing, but I don't feel very creative, guess I don't really have much to say. Maybe the offer to buy my bass is a sign that its time to let go

• CMS Author

Don't do that. There are few stories of muso's who sold their gear and years later are glad they did. It's usually a story about regretting that foolish sale.

If you've had music in your heart, it won't leave. It may sleep awhile, but you'll come back in time. Use these low points as inspiration.

• Members

I totally lost the feeling about 4 years ago. sold my rig, sold my stingray, kept the basses that were in pieces that noone would want.

then about a year and a half ago, I thought a new instrument would get me back into it. So I bought my soundgear, played it a few times and it sat for over a year :[ The last time I got heavy back into music was in november : and I'm already burnt out again. Hell I've only been back into it seriously just long enough to knock the rust off. And already I dont' play unless I force myself too :[

• Members

It doesn't sound like you really enjoy it. Did you ever?

when I was younger I absolutely thrived on it. It pretty much defined me at one point. I was a bass player, thats what i was heart and soul. There was a time when I couldn't imagine doing anything other that being on stage. I used to get edgy if I went more than a day or two without playing. Now its almost like "whats'" the point. Its going to be exactly the way it was yesterday, the same song, note for note, if I improv, noones going to notice, if its good, noone will know, if it sucks, noone will know. I'm sorry for whining so much, but this has been bothering me for a long time. I thought I was past this, but I guess I'm not :[

• Members

I too reached the point where I didn't want to practice to recordings any more. I put an ad in my local craigslist, asking for people who are into the types of music I like to get together and jam. We played, and it was great. I've done it again since then, and it may become a weekly thing. Not a "band" necessarily, just a chance for people with common interests in music to play together.

If you've got some place to jam, you might want to give it a try. Having other people to play with might inspire you, or maybe it won't. But at least you'll know for definite whether or not you want to continue.

Archived