Bobby Fischer Dead!

Funkee1

• Members

No more Looking for Bobby Fischer!

REYKJAVIK, Iceland - Bobby Fischer, the reclusive chess genius who became a Cold War hero by dethroning the Soviet world champion in 1972 and later renounced his American citizenship, has died. He was 64.

ADVERTISEMENT

Fisher died of kidney failure Thursday in a Reykjavik hospital after a long illness, his spokesman, Gardar Sverrisson, said Friday.

Born in Chicago and raised in Brooklyn, N.Y., Fischer faced criminal charges in the United States for playing a 1992 rematch against Boris Spassky in Yugoslavia in defiance of international sanctions. In 2005, he moved to Iceland, a chess-mad nation and site of his greatest triumph.

As a champion, he used his eccentricities to unsettle opponents, but Fischer's reputation as a genius of chess was soon eclipsed, in the eyes of many, by his idiosyncrasies.

"Chess is war on a board," he once said. "The object is to crush the other man's mind."

Fischer vanished after the 1992 match and occasionally re-emerged to give interviews on a radio station in the Philippines. During one interview, Fischer praised the Sept. 11 terrorist attacks, saying America should be "wiped out," and described Jews as "thieving, lying bastards."

• Members
Hey, love him or hate him, no denying his skill at the board and skill at psyching his opponents out.

Yeah, he was a tad nutty, ok...extremely nutty. Especially the antisemitic views he held...considering he was like 1/4 Jewish himself.
:freak:

Hope he finds peace at last.

I hope he finds some nice Auschwitz victims to play chess with.....

• Members

Fischer vanished after the 1992 match and occasionally re-emerged to give interviews on a radio station in the Philippines. During one interview, Fischer praised the Sept. 11 terrorist attacks, saying America should be "wiped out," and described Jews as "thieving, lying bastards."

Wow.... just wow.

• Moderators

I liked "Searching for Bobby Fisher."

My brother used to do those tournaments in middle school. He can still kick my ass in chess.

When my older brothers learned to play chess, they taught me. Beat me badly on a regular basis for the first few weeks. Then I started winning, and they weren't interested in playing me anymore. So I started playing in tournaments. Never did extremely well, but I did all right.

• Members

For a guy thats supposed to be smart, to praise the deaths of so many everyday citizens, regardless of race, creed, and country -- some of which were just pre-schoolers and children - is absolutely cowardly and stupid....

{censored} You and checkmate

• Moderators

For a guy thats supposed to be smart

Intelligence is a funny thing, it comes in different forms. He could do things with his brain you and I can't and 99% of the people in the world (you and I included) can do things he couldn't. The things he couldn't do made him an asshole.

• Members

He was an asshole, no denying that. But, come on, does anyone here doubt he was suffering from major mental illness? I mean, he's almost classic paranoid schizophrenia. Not saying that it's an excuse...but he was certainly suffering from something mental.

And actually, he was half jewish...so to him to be so anti-semitic is really screwed-in-the-head thinking as it is.

Archived