What have I just agreed to do?!?

Thunderbroom

• Members

As many of you know, in addition to teaching at a two-year school I also do quite a bit of side work conducting customized training for local companies.

I was asked a week ago if I could put together a shaft alignment class for a company and deliver it tomorrow and the following Saturday. Short notice, but I agreed to do it.

About two hours ago I got a call saying that there was a clerical/administrative goof and I should have been asked to do a mechanical power transmission course over two Saturdays instead. I explained that there are not enough hours in the day left between now and tomorrow for me to develop this class but agreed that if they could work out the schedule I'd do it another two consecutive Saturdays.

They came back with the only two dates that are available: 2/16 and 2/23. I've got a gig on 2/15 and don't normally get home until 3:30a - 4:00a. My class starts at 7:00a. Since I have to set up for the class, there won't be any sleep time for me.

:freak:

What I do for money.

:D

• Members

As many of you know, in addition to teaching at a two-year school I also do quite a bit of side work conducting customized training for local companies.

I was asked a week ago if I could put together a shaft alignment class for a company and deliver it tomorrow and the following Saturday. Short notice, but I agreed to do it.

About two hours ago I got a call saying that there was a clerical/administrative goof and I should have been asked to do a mechanical power transmission course over two Saturdays instead. I explained that there are not enough hours in the day left between now and tomorrow for me to develop this class but agreed that if they could work out the schedule I'd do it another two consecutive Saturdays.

They came back with the only two dates that are available: 2/16 and 2/23. I've got a gig on 2/15 and don't normally get home until 3:30a - 4:00a. My class starts at 7:00a. Since I have to set up for the class, there won't be any sleep time for me.

:freak:

What I do for money.

:D

one word for you - Starbucks

• Members

Having worked 39 straight hours in the past, my comment is -

The second twelve hours of any given work day are the worst. you can breeze through the first 12, and if you get to the third twelve, you've got a groove going.

Set extra alarms if you decide to sleep, and get a little support from somebody. You'll make it!:thu:

EDIT:As a side note, if there is somebody you trust to tear down your rig/help the band, you likely could leave the gig earlier and get more rest. You could also get a nap before, depending on your responsibilities for the gig.

• Members

It runs from 7a - 3p on two consecutive Saturdays. It's both classroom and hands-on. I'll have the folks installing v-belts, chain drives, gear boxes and what not.

Just for goodness sakes, KEEP YOUR SLEEPY FINGERS AWAY FROM MOVING BELTS AND OUT OF CHAIN DRIVES AND GEAR BOXES!!!! Accidents happen when you're tired.

• Members

Just for goodness sakes, KEEP YOUR SLEEPY FINGERS AWAY FROM MOVING BELTS AND OUT OF CHAIN DRIVES AND GEAR BOXES!!!! Accidents happen when you're tired.

+1, never thought of that.

I often do the gig until 3:00 AM and then watching kids (dayhome) at 7:00 AM, so I understand the whole tired at work thing, but I'm thankful my work doesn't potentially remove fingers. Yikes!

• Members

I can't handle the tired at work thing anymore. Some days I have to wake up at 2 or 3 am and work straight for 14 hours. A few years ago in previous band I refused to do anything the night before an early rise. As fun as playing was, it was not worth it to me to be that tired, but then again my job is different from most from a fatigue standpoint.

• Members

I can't handle the tired at work thing anymore. Some days I have to wake up at 2 or 3 am and work straight for 14 hours. A few years ago in previous band I refused to do anything the night before an early rise. As fun as playing was, it was not worth it to me to be that tired, but then again my job is different from most from a fatigue standpoint.

Thank you. At no point to I ever want a pilot asleep at the wheel.

• Members

I think any gigging musician has had to suck it up and work like hell the day after a 3-4am bedtime.

just sleep twice as hard and 4 hours will seem like 8. :poke:

Drink water before bed and stock up on good eating and vitamins a few days before.

Archived