To FrankenSquire or not to FrankenSquire

J05H

• Members

Hey everybody. I usually hang out in Keyboards, but since you're next door now I thought I'd drop in and say hi. :wave:

Bass was my first instrument. I've still got my poor, neglected Fender Squire P Bass that I got from my parents in 1990 (see the pics). I don't think that I could ever part with it. Since I'm fairly close to Warmoth, I'm thinking about restoring it. It needs a ton of work tho. Notice the metal plate over the 1/4" jack. It was put there to save the jack, because I left it plugged in one night, and in the darkness managed to step onto the cable, ruining the stock jack.

The pickups are EMGs, which were installed by a friend of mine who knew how to turn a sautering iron on (and not much else). Needless to say, I'm in the market for some new pickups. You'll also notice that the G tuning peg is bent. Yeah. It was rattling, so I bent it until it stopped. I'll need a new bridge, too. Obviously.

So yeah, this bass was my first, and endured the brunt of my teenage years. I'm getting a nice bonus from work this year, so I thought that instead of putting it toward another $3k synth, I'd restore a bass that meant a lot to me when I was first discovering music and the world was my oyster.

Here's some pics, so you can see the Hurculean task ahead of me. :eek:

fender1.jpeg

fender2.jpeg

fender3.jpeg

• Members

I say go for it, but I dumped money into this pit

Picture074.jpg

Picture078.jpg

It was an affinity Squier. The 1 ply PG broke so I got the new one, added a SD baselines 1/4lber and some pots, wire. I also had to clean up sharp frets an some really high ones. I am right now shielding this the poor mans way with aluminum foil to stop some hum. I keep fixing it for the same reasons you mentioned, it was my first bass.

• Members

The neck on your Squier II is a Korean Monster!!!

It's all-maple, tall frets, f-l-a-t fretboard with a narrow heel. It feels like a cross between an Ibanez SG and a modern Fender Jazz. I removed the neck on my MIM Fender P-bass and installed a Squier II a few weeks ago.

The plywood body is pretty crappy, but you could find a pre-finished used body on Ebay or in a pawnshop for cheap.

I would save the neck and woodpile the rest.

• Members

I have a squier II HSS strat with that all maple neck, could be your basses brother. Great necks, bodies a little dodgy, but upgrade the hardware, and you are good to go. FYI- My guitar was $199 new in 1990, and I just saw several in shops going for around the same price, kinda funny.

Archived