how do you get a bass to growl?

poomwah

• Members

Step 1...your strings must be new.

step 2...Use Stainless Steel strings.....No flat wounds

step 3... Hotter pickups or ...add an "Active tone preamp" in your bass!!

step 4...As someone mentioned...More gain on your Amp & more midrange

step 5...Good clean speakers

Closest ive heard yet.

New strings absolute must.

Use pick, really helps but not totally neccessary.

Check my soundclick sig for example of growly tone.

CAUTION:

80's hairband content inside, complete with girly-man vocals and 80's guitar wankery.

If you like the tones, I'll tell you how I got them.

If you dont like them, well, I know this music aint for everyone.

I have actually been over it for 10,15 years or so.

:wave:

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

dave that tone is awesome, I like that a lot

I think I'm going to sell my soundgear, because no matter what I do with it, I can't get a sound I like out of it. I've come closer with my bastardized ripper that has the most obnoxiously buzzing electronics I've ever heard, and has strings so old on it they have rust on them :[

no matter what I do with my sound gear it just sounds too "peaceful" never thought I'd complain about my bass sounding too clean

I probably should have bought the allen woody rumblecat instead

• Members
Bump the mids and add some gain.
:thu:

Thumper probably has the best, and easiest advice. I checked out a Jazz bass with the S-1 switch recently, played through an Ampeg SA115 combo. The S-1 switch puts the pups in series or parallel. In series, both volume pots work- one for each pup. In parallel both pups are controlled by a single volume pot. The single tone pot works in either series or parallel. I own a Jazz bass without the S-1 and I first set the controls to my usual set-up which is neck 10, bridge 7 and tone 7, amp flat but a little boost on the bass and low mids. Nice tone. But when I pushed in the S-1 switch and put the bass into parallel ( like a P-bass ) the thing just growled like a mofo !! And when I bumped the mids a little more it just sounded better.

I've also noticed that my bass sounds ballsier with the input control of my Ashdown MAG300H turned up to where the VU meter is sweeping past midscale.

Bump the mids and add some gain...

• Members

how do you get a bass to growl?

Simple - just post anything on HCBF with any sort of liberal bias, or leftist viewpoint........oh no wait, that's how you make georgeispullingmystrings growl. Different thing altogether, sorry. (still, it seems to work pretty good though)

Archived