how do you get a bass to growl?

poomwah

• Members

I've been watching some old music videos, and while watching some old live videos, I noticed that the tone of the bass was SO much different than the studio versions. Particularly on old kiss videos, and on thin lizzy. What are they doing with their sound that is giving them that growl?

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I've been watching some old music videos, and while watching some old live videos, I noticed that the tone of the bass was SO much different than the studio versions. Particularly on old kiss videos, and on thin lizzy. What are they doing with their sound that is giving them that growl?

10 or 12 inch speakers, a pick and lots of trebble is my guess. I know what you mean but havent really found the answer or that tone either

• Members

Honestly, a lot of it comes from a split-coil or humbuching pickup. My Dean does it. my Pbass does it. My stingray did it (and my new one will as well) No Jazz has ever really done it quite as well.

Kinda like the difference in sound you get between a Les Paul and a Strat.

• Members

so my bass might not be capable of getting that sound :[ don't know what kind of pickups I have. And I don't think I can turn one pickup on full and one partially, I'm pretty sure mine has just a blend knob, or a fader, or whatever you call it.

• Members

so my bass might not be capable of getting that sound :[ don't know what kind of pickups I have. And I don't think I can turn one pickup on full and one partially, I'm pretty sure mine has just a blend knob, or a fader, or whatever you call it.

Pretty much the same thing with a blend pot. Turned fully one way it'd be one pickup, the other way it'd be the other pickup, in between it'd be a blend. ;)

• Members

heres what I mean... listen to the difference between the studio

and the live , I want to match the tone of the live one

8's or 10's in your speaker cabinet. A tube amplifier (sufficiently warmed up will help), with the mids and lows boosted (not maxed). Either internal or external overdrive (to push the tubes a little harder). A bass with Jazz pickups, and some darker, growling woods (Ash, Mahogany, etc for the body, maple neck and fretboard), with the bridge pickup as the primary. Play with a pick.

Some of this is repeated, but this is the formula for THAT tone. Warwicks and other exotic wood basses can do the same tone, but they tend not to have the highs that that tone has.

Edit: I just watched the video again, and hes using a P-Bass with a maple neck and rosewood fretboard. Its probably an ash or alder body.

• Moderators

It didn't sound as though the lows were boosted to me. Not much in the way of lows at all in that sound.

That works well in a live situation. Lows go everywhere, and get into everything. They get picked up by all of the mikes, and can be anywhere from in phase to completley out of phase, and anywhere in between. Precisions aren't famous for deep lows, anyway, nor is playing with a pick the best way to get them.

Power section breakup is when the power output devices - the power tubes in a tube amp, or the output or power transistors in a solid state map - are just starting to clip. It tends to be a much more pleasing sound in a tube amp.

Archived