Can someone explain to me in gear terms the difference

Joshtruction

• Members

in sound between J pickups and P pickups? My bass has one of each and I can tell what the difference is, but I can not seem to put it into terms discussed here. I figure that can help me out in terms of relating amp sounds you guys describe to find the right amp rig. Sounds odd, but I would appreciate the help.

• Moderators

In response to the actual quesion...

P pickups have less low end, more low mids and less high mids than J pickups.

In terms of amps, P pickups are more like mid bumped amps and cabs like Eden, whereas J pickups are more like more even response amps and cabinets.

IMO the Genz Benz NeoX 212T is the perfect P bass of modern cabinets.

My Ampeg V-4B is the amp equivalent of a P bass.

For me, mixing and matching works best. I like an even response from my cabinets (to respond to EQ changes most easily) and to get my "sound" from the bass/amp pairing. A P bass and Ampeg amp is one extreme. A J bass DI'd into a power amp is the other extreme. A J bass into an amp with the modern Fender tone stack (Blackface and beyond and hundreds of copies) that has a high mid dip is a great combination.

Hope that helps!

• Members

In response to the actual quesion...

P pickups have less low end, more low mids and less high mids than J pickups.

In terms of amps, P pickups are more like mid bumped amps and cabs like Eden, whereas J pickups are more like more even response amps and cabinets.

IMO the Genz Benz NeoX 212T is the perfect P bass of modern cabinets.

My Ampeg V-4B is the amp equivalent of a P bass.

For me, mixing and matching works best. I like an even response from my cabinets (to respond to EQ changes most easily) and to get my "sound" from the bass/amp pairing. A P bass and Ampeg amp is one extreme. A J bass DI'd into a power amp is the other extreme. A J bass into an amp with the modern Fender tone stack (Blackface and beyond and hundreds of copies) that has a high mid dip is a great combination.

Hope that helps!

Yes, which is exactly what I said above. You just kind of clarified what I was saying.

:freak:

Archived