vega?

matt561

• Members

can I use some home audio cervin vega 15's on a bass guitar amp? I know most people say no, but they seem to be pretty beefy(big magnet,voice coil and a good amount of excursion.) It seems most people say that home speakers can't handle the bass but i've been giving them 175 watts each for a while and they seem to take it(on pre-recorded music.) I;m new to this and been using a peavey keyboard combo amp with a 15 woofer and 100 watts. It sounds ok but i am wanting more and I already have these woofers sitting around. I would just need to get an amp head and built a box

• Members

My expectation would be lower volume on the same amp. Generally (And I don't know in this case.) high fidelity speakers aren't very efficient. Musical instrument speakers generally are. If you can get the volume you need with some head room, go for it.

• Members

I say go for it.

You've already got the speakers so it won't cost you any money for speakers. The only cost will be for the lumber, grillcloth, hardware, tolex and your building time (if you put a price on that).

If you finish the project and the speakers blow up, then you can simply replace them with REAL bass speakers. Chock one up to experience.

I've actually used a 15" CV speaker in one of our monitors. It's hung in there for a couple of years but vocals through a monitor and bass guitar are 2 different things.

• Members

It's not really the volume that stereo speakers can't handle, as I understand it, it's the transients from playing live that are the problem. I've tried home speaker cabs (in a pinch) with a 200w/s Kustom amp. They just couldn't keep up, likely a matter of efficiency, as mentioned above. The keyboard amp is essentially a bass amp anyway, and most of those Peaveys have a "power amp in", allowing you to use an external amp to drive the speakers. With a little research, you should be able to find just how big an amp you could hook up there, and I think you'd be happier. Just a guess, though. Cheers!

Archived