eBay: What's a fair price for a body?

Optimus Prime

• Members

sspx0311pr7.jpg

I'm finally getting around to selling that American Jazz bass body that I took off to use the Warmoth. I bought it new in August and took it off in November, it's sat in a box ever since. Black 1-piece(?) "premium ash" body, strings through body bridge, white pickguard. The only physical damage on it are 2 small dings below the bridge. They're tiny, no paint is missing and you can't see them from more than a foot away. I need the money to buy a few things. I'm going to take better pictures with a good camera to use on eBay. What's a fair price? Should I do the whole Buy It Now thing? I've never sold anything on eBay, so I'm having someone else set it up for me. Anyone here interested in buying it? I think that's it.

• Members

Wow, good question. I have no idea.

We have any idea how much a new Fender replacement body would be? I mean, to like an authorized Fender repair center? That would get a ballpark for a "new" one....then price down from there for the dents/scratches etc etc.

Sorry, not much help.
:idk:

I don't think they do those anymore, the replacement bodies. :idk:

I guess about $400~?? :confused:

• Members

Wow, good question. I have no idea.

We have any idea how much a new Fender replacement body would be? I mean, to like an authorized Fender repair center? That would get a ballpark for a "new" one....then price down from there for the dents/scratches etc etc.

Sorry, not much help.
:idk:

Good idea. I took the price of a new Warmoth 1-piece swamp ash body with black paint, added in the price of a Fender bridge and pickguard and divided by 2. That gave me $260. Is that higher or lower than what someone would expect to pay for something like this?

• Members

$260 seems way low to me. New US Jazz ~ $1000, I'd say $350 -400 would be perfectly fair. Then again, most of the "US quality" of the MIA Fenders seems to be in the necks and hardware, so....

The only hardware they will be missing are tuners (and a control plate, but that's like $15). But getting ~$140 than I thought I would is kinda nice.

• Members

Similar to what I said the first time you asked, I just don't see it for more than $150. There isn't a market for unloaded finished bodies.

Put it on eBay and see what it goes for. It won't come anywhere near $400.

seems about right. I would pay $150 for it if I had a neck laying around

Archived