Totally professional band here.

Goofball Jones

• Members

there was no grunt at the fall. kinda makes me think that they were faking to a recording.

No, just his awesome professionalism! :lol:

Also, what an outstanding band that played with instruments that obviously had wireless rigs built RIGHT into the bodies...to fool people into thinking nothing is plugged in. Not to mention absolutely no monitors on the stage which makes everything clean and uncluttered.

(head about to explode from sarcasm overload)

• Members

Hilarious!!

Really can't stand the idea of miming onstage

there was no grunt at the fall. kinda makes me think that they were faking to a recording.

Ya think?!

No backline, no evidence of IEMs or stage monitoring and, most of all, drumkit not mic-ed up.

Here Keith Moon demonstrates truly professional miming :thu:

[YOUTUBE]d9-JdubfUCw[/YOUTUBE]

Edit: Not got the hang of embedding youtube yet. If it doesn't work find it yerselves ya lazy buggers

Edit again: Got it, thanks!

• Members

Yeah, it's pretty obvious when he falls off the stage, but the "Soooorrryy" keeps going.

I would do the lip sync thing if I was getting paid enough to do it, I mean, why not? It's a no brainer performance.

C7

Yes, 'cause then you can worry about your appearance, which, since the advent of MTV, is clearly the most important part of a musical act.:freak:

• Members

I don't know where the original video was recorded, but it appears to be somewhere in Europe. When I was in Germany, we noticed that all the bands on TV always appeared to be miming. I asked a few of my German friends and they said it was because a lot of European audiences wanted everything to sound exactly like the CD. They were just as annoyed by it as I was, though.

• Members

I don't know where the original video was recorded, but it appears to be somewhere in Europe. When I was in Germany, we noticed that all the bands on TV always appeared to be miming. I asked a few of my German friends and they said it was because a lot of European audiences wanted everything to sound exactly like the CD. They were just as annoyed by it as I was, though.

Actually, it's a lot easier for the TV people to work with. No sound check, no extra mics, no feedback, etc. Just pop the disk in and all is well!:thu:

• Members

Yes, 'cause then you can worry about your appearance, which, since the advent of MTV, is clearly the most important part of a musical act.
:freak:

Yeah, because appearance didn't have anything to do with the popularity of the Beatles, the Stones, Jim Morrison, the Who, Zep, etc...:p

• Members

Actually, it's a lot easier for the TV people to work with. No sound check, no extra mics, no feedback, etc. Just pop the disk in and all is well!
:thu:

That is true, as well, but it wasn't just TV shows, a lot of larger shows were done that way, by all kinds of different bands. I met a few metalheads, and they hated it, so we went to some metal shows where the bands were actually playing. I'm not a huge fan of metal, but it kicked ass watching people actually play after seeing 3 months of miming.

• Members

I love that Who clip.

Interestingly enough, I think Roger is actually singing live over the pre-recorded backing tracks.

Not a bad compromise...

Yeah, I think they did that a lot back in those days. Sang live over pre-recorded.

That though was a real explosion that damaged Townshends ear :eek:

• Members

I love that Who clip.

Interestingly enough, I think Roger is actually singing live over the pre-recorded backing tracks.

Not a bad compromise...

Yeah, he's definitely not lipsynching. I like that live vocal better than the album. He really plays up the amphetamine stutter (and it also is pretty solid proof that it wasn't just "an accident" of the studio recording)...

• Members

Yeah, because appearance didn't have anything to do with the popularity of the Beatles, the Stones, Jim Morrison, the Who, Zep, etc...
:p

Appearance may have played some part for them, but not to the exclusion of all else. Of the bands you list, the Stones are the least talented, but still WAAAAY better than many of the over-hyped MTV generation acts, ala Milli-Vanilli, Vanilla Ice, WHAM, etc. In fact, this is the only way you can include my list in the same sentence as your list.:p

Archived