Emulation of the ric tone?

REMUS

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Moderators
IME, the bridge pickup of the Rick sounds fairly close to a P, but that's just me. The Ric has a little something extra going on with both pickups going and the treble up, but it's not
that
different.

It's not just you. :wave: If you want a Ric bridge tone, that's exactly the P tone. Exact. In order to get the tone of a Ric with both pickups on, you need a second pickup. The T-40 is a good suggestion.

• Members

+1

those t40 pickups with coils tapped gets pretty damn close.as does the ripper in the 4rd position with the mids rolled out.

+ another one. The T-40 can sound amazingly like a Ric if you know how to coax that sound out of it. Fortunately it's not too hard of a sound to achieve, and even more fortunately, it looks nothing like a Ric. :D

• Members

I know this is a total long shot, but could it be done with an epiphone eb-0?

i think he meant an eb-3.an eb-o has one huge humbucker close to the neck.an eb-3 has said huge humbucker and a smaller single coil right next to the bridge.

i had a short scale eb-3 for a while though and it didn't really sound a ric.the long scale version may get you in the ballpark with the bridge p/u soloed.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Is it possible to buy reproduction ric neck pick ups?

There are a couple of ric bridge pups on the bay atm, thought I might snag one for a bit of a fun project later in the year.

You could probably call Lindy Fralin and speak to them seeming as how they are the referred resource for rewinding of Ric PU's.

Dan

• Moderators
The link I posted has a split coil pick up, so are they a different set to the type you own I take it?

bart_ric_big.jpg

I can't say. The pickups were on the bass when I got it, so all I can do is assume that they are whatever Bartolini usually sells as Ric replacement pickups. All I know is that I like the sound of them, and I frequently get compliments from others on how they sound.

• Members

Everyone here is just wrong with maybe the exception of the Ripper. The correct answer is the mighty T-40.

2 pages into the thread and the correct answer finally shows up

Remus, seriously -- The T-40 is probably the best at mimicking a reasonable facsimile of the Rickenbacker as well as it get reasonable early Alembic tonalities as well... This is mainly due to its powerful pickups and their design and - more importantly - their placement on the bass for the correct nodal voicings

• Moderators

Does it still retain the same classic treble heavy growl?

What type of capacitor did ric use to filter out some of the low end?

It's not treble heavy, because it has more low end to balance it out. All of the highs are there, though. The cap, inseries with the bridge pickup, is a .0047

Archived