Emulation of the ric tone?

REMUS

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Gee, I dunno. These are my two basses (Ric and MIA P-bass) and I specifically bought them because they sound so different. The Ric doesn't thump, and you can't get the thump out of the Precision.

OK, maybe a P-bass with new stainless rounds on it.

:p

IME, the bridge pickup of the Rick sounds fairly close to a P, but that's just me. The Ric has a little something extra going on with both pickups going and the treble up, but it's not that different.

I dunno. Rics never struck me as having that unusual of a sound, but there's not much out there that can cop exactly that tone.

• Members

how about gibson or epiphone?

allen woody played gibsons, epis, and ricks

on the songs thorazine shuffle, and blind man in the dark, he played a rick, even the guys at gibson thought he was playing a gibson on there. If a rick can sound like a gibson, can a gibson sound like a rick?

• Members

Who's Ric tone? (If any)

There's a massive difference between McCartney's and Squires and since, IMO, no bass sounds exactly like a Ric, it would mean a recommendation of two different basses. If you want that bright tone just grab some SS strings and pick near the bridge. If you're looking for that woody thump, a bass with a neck pickup, tone turned down, pick, and flats.

IME, the bridge pickup of the Rick sounds fairly close to a P, but that's just me. The Ric has a little something extra going on with both pickups going and the treble up, but it's not
that
different.

I'll have to chalk that up as you going completely insane. :D

To me, the bridge pickup on my Ric is way too thin to sound anything like a split coil humbucker that the Pbass has.

• Members

Who's Ric tone? (If any)

There's a massive difference between McCartney's and Squires and since, IMO, no bass sounds exactly like a Ric, it would mean a recommendation of two different basses. If you want that bright tone just grab some SS strings and pick near the bridge. If you're looking for that woody thump, a bass with a neck pickup, tone turned down, pick, and flats.

I'll have to chalk that up as you going completely insane.
:D

To me, the bridge pickup on my Ric is way too thin to sound anything like a split coil humbucker that the Pbass has.

This is the tone I want:

[YOUTUBE]RwL7r29mUPI[/YOUTUBE]

• Members

I see he's playing a Ric in the video that sounds like a Jazz bass to me. SS strings and a Jazz bass (maybe something like a '70s jazz bass with the bridge pickup closer to the bridge - thinning out the tone slightly).

Edit- Wait, is that the guitar player playing the Ric? It looks like the bassist is playing a P or Jazz bass with a sparkley white pick guard. ???

• Members

I'll have to chalk that up as you going completely insane.
:D

We did a side-by-side test at the last Chicago get-together and came to the conclusion that it was very close.

Maybe xOriginalNinjax operates Rics in a very P-like fashion? :D

• Members

I am so kicking myself now for defretting the ripper :[ I need to refret it and fix the electronics

it figures that the tone I have been looking for for the past couple years turns out to be a rick, and that I had an instrument that would have given me a similar tone if I hadn't screwed it up about 10 years ago

Archived