Yorkville XS400

FebruaryStars

• Members

So I'm looking at a studio used Yorkville XS400 in a local shop... I currently use a SWR SM500 into a Henry 8x8 and was looking at buying a new amp... I play hard rock that varies from a punk feel to a funky jam like sound. I like my mids and low end... I would normally lug my cab to the store but I'm way far from home and don't have my full rig. I really didn't have time to crank it up today but I'm in the area till Monday night and I thought I'd get some opinions from the forum.

How's the Comp on these things?

Can you switch from the solid to the tube for drive and not have huge volume differences?

Anyone think it's worth my while for me to pick it up?

• Members

I took one home for a test drive a couple of years ago. For the price it was basically an OK amp. I liked the idea of the switchable tube drive. I think Genz Benz has a better implementation of that idea by having two independent, switchable, full-featured solid state and tube channels (a la GBE600 & GBE750), but I digress. At the time I was using an Ampeg SVT III Pro, and I thought the Ampeg was a lot better.

I thought the amp lacked a bit of punch and thump for my tastes. It would be a great amp for studio work though because it has no fan, and is quiet in that sense. To me the preamp, lacked character and presence. It was just sort of "there". Sorry for the description having a lot of fuzzy, subjective intangibles, but that was my impression. Although I really wanted to like it, it just didn't "do it" for me. The XS800H might be a better choice. YMMV

Archived