Ashdown or Crate? (guitar amp content)

mlwarriner

• Members

OK, so I'm looking to replace my Kustom/Peavey 2x12 quarter stack with a 2x12 guitar combo. Couple of "within budget" amps have shown up on Craigslist locally.

Ashdown Fallen Angel 100 DSP combo. 2x12, tube preamp, SS power. On-board FX. 100 watts

also

Crate FXT 120 - 120 watts, 2x12 combo, more built-in fx. Hard to find much info, I guess this thing was made exclusively for MF.

Anybody have experience with either of these?

• Members

Ou of those 2, the Ashdown.

Personally, for what you are doing I would look real hard for an Ampeg VH-140C (or SS-140C) 2x12 combo.

Kick ass amps with a huge amount of crunch and gain.

This one sold for dirt cheap on the Bay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Ampeg-SS-140C-No-Reserve_W0QQitemZ190188197889QQihZ009QQcategoryZ43372QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Maybe a Randall RG series combo as well.

The Ashdown is a nice amp though. That Crate really isn't. A good Crate to look for would be a Stealth or a GX-130C

http://cgi.ebay.com/Crate-Amp-GX-130C-NO-RESERVE_W0QQitemZ280188725468QQihZ018QQcategoryZ38073QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

You can get these cheap and they kick ass, unlike a lot of the crap Crate put out. They have some real gems in the {censored}'pile.

• Members

The Crate Vintage Club series are great, though. I have the 50W tube head. It's really a great amp, a BEAUTIFUL clean sound and a sort-of Marshall-y drive channel.

I got mine for $250 on the bay. They made a 2x12 combo, I used to have one, if you want the combo.

• Members

Stay away from the Crate. I've never been a fan of their guitar stuff...well any of their stuff actually. It all sounds like crap...

I hear you; I hate Crate's guitar stuff, but I just picked up an old crate B150 bass head off craigslist for $50, & for as light as it is (one transformer) it's frickin' loud! And although it sounds "sterile" (i.e. solid state), for $50 it's not bad. 6 band eq, limiter, line out, etc.

Archived