no country for old men

zesty brick

• Members

Amazing movie {censored}ty ending.

Dan

i found it hard to get angry at any part of the movie because the story just started and did not really give any back story, so i just accepted what happened because i did not know what to do otherwise

so what would you have happened in the ending?

• Members

i found it hard to get angry at any part of the movie because the story just started and did not really give any back story, so i just accepted what happened because i did not know what to do otherwise

so what would you have happened in the ending?

I thought the logical ending would have been at the hotel. you know the old man who thinks he's past his prime and can't do the job anymore goes to the hotel on a hunch, goes to the door, knows shigur is on the other side, fires into the door, shigur dead. The old man who thought he was passed his prime kills the bad guy. I think it would have been a better/more fitting ending than what they did. Whatever I didn't write the book and from his books, they just start and end at weird places. It's like a random slice of someones life. I get that, I just don't like it.

Dan

• Members

I thought the logical ending would have been at the hotel. you know the old man who thinks he's past his prime and can't do the job anymore goes to the hotel on a hunch, goes to the door, knows shigur is on the other side, fires into the door, shigur dead. The old man who thought he was passed his prime kills the bad guy. I think it would have been a better/more fitting ending than what they did. Whatever I didn't write the book and from his books, they just start and end at weird places. It's like a random slice of someones life. I get that, I just don't like it.

Da...

man, i would have liked that ending a lot better! but thats what i liked about the movie, it was not in a traditional fashion, the random slice style was refreshing to me

• Members

man, i would have liked that ending a lot better! but thats what i liked about the movie, it was not in a traditional fashion, the random slice style was refreshing to me

Yeah, at the time I thought it sucked. I can appreciate the way it was done and that they followed the book I think. I really enjoyed the whole movie and the nuances. You really have to pay attention to it. That and the shotgun with the silencer is badass!

Dan

• Members

Blood Meridian is a tough read. As I've said before, it's probably the most horrific book I've ever read...and I've read some pretty horrific books.

They're making it into a movie....but honestly, it's un-filmable. No way could they capture what that book is about in a movie. I just don't see it happening.

• Members

Dan

So you wanted to see an overdone, cheesy hollywood ending? :rolleyes: Sorry, man, but that's really lame.:bor:

• Members

Blood Meridian
is a tough read. As I've said before, it's probably the most horrific book I've ever read...and I've read some pretty horrific books.

They're making it into a movie....but honestly, it's un-filmable. No way could they capture what that book is about in a movie. I just don't see it happening.

I agree. If they did it exactly like the book, it would be so repelling & grim no one would watch it

• Members

I agree. If they did it exactly like the book, it would be so repelling & grim no one would watch it

I have a feeling they're going to change quite a bit in it. My wife complained about No Country...saying the movie was too much of a downer and too dark. I said No Country for Old Men is a walk in the park compared to Blood Meridian. So perhaps she should stay away from that one. :D

• Members

So you wanted to see an overdone, cheesy hollywood ending?
:rolleyes:
Sorry, man, but that's really lame.
:bor:

It fits the story better, you know, the whole message behind the entire movie? The struggle between age and youth and good and evil. I actually think what would have ended better is if they killed eachother now that I think about it. But it still should have ended at the hotel. You think mine is lame, that's fine..come up with something better then jackass. The ending it has {censored}ing blows. I can appreciate the writing style but it still sucks. You know what I find funny is that people will go along with a {censored}ty ending just because it's different..even though it's still {censored}ty. And why do people say "sorry man"? Don't say sorry, that doesn't do anything for people other than make you feel better for being a dickhead.

Dan

• Members

It fits the story better, you know, the whole message behind the entire movie? The struggle between age and youth and good and evil. I actually think what would have ended better is if they killed eachother now that I think about it. But it still should have ended at the hotel. You think mine is lame, that's fine..come up with something better then jackass. The ending it has {censored}ing blows. I can appreciate the writing style but it still sucks. You know what I find funny is that people will go along with a {censored}ty ending just because it's different..even though it's still {censored}ty. And why do people say "sorry man"? Don't say sorry, that doesn't do anything for people other than make you feel better for being a dickhead.

Dan

Gee, Dan, why so tense?

• Members

I didn't think it was different. I thought the point was not to have a happy ending. They didn't want to tie everything up in a nice little bow. It's suppose to indicate that life sucks, IMO.

My .02 on the movie: It was amazing. It blew my mind, and Javier Bardem is the only choice for best actor. If he doesn't get it, I will seriously flip. Anton Chigurh was the most terrifying character I've seen on screen, and Bardem brought him to life.

That said, I will never watch that movie again. It was amazing, but the evil in it scared the {censored} out of me.

• Members

Gee, Dan, why so tense?

I'm not tense but it pisses me off when people:

1. Just dismiss someones ideas as lame

2. They apologize for it. If you think it's lame, fine..opinions and all..but then apologize for it...the apology doesn't do anyone any good other than the person about to insult you. It's like "I think you are fat and ugly and not that bright"...."oh and sorry". It's just stupid.

He could have easily said "I don't like it" or I like the original ending because (here is where the insight into the movie goes).

I know I'm not in the minority on this one either. 90% of the theatre booed when it ended. And most of the theatre goers were 50 and over surprisingly. That has to count for something.

Dan

• Members

Blood Meridian
is a tough read. As I've said before, it's probably the most horrific book I've ever read...and I've read some pretty horrific books.

Horrific, yes. But I remember to this day my friend telling me, "Open the book to the chapter about Judge. If you can put the book down, I"ll give you $20."

I started the book in the book store, read it in line, read it while paying for it, read it while walking to my car. Drove angry. Got home and read it while walking into the house. Sat down and read until my eyes burned.

• Members

I didn't think it was different. I thought the point was not to have a happy ending. They didn't want to tie everything up in a nice little bow. It's suppose to indicate that life sucks, IMO.

My .02 on the movie: It was amazing. It blew my mind, and Javier Bardem is the only choice for best actor. If he doesn't get it, I will seriously flip. Anton Chigurh was the most terrifying character I've seen on screen, and Bardem brought him to life.

That said, I will never watch that movie again. It was amazing, but the evil in it scared the {censored} out of me.

It was an amazing film. I completely get the ending..in that it's not an ending. Everyone's lives will go on and that's how the author writes. There are no endings in life until your dead, so he doesn't write them. It's not that I don't get the movie, or I have to have a nice tidy ending. Give me something to think about and grab onto. Don't leave me with a monologue on growing old and being passed by when a logical ending earlier on in the film would have made the point that much clearer. But that's just my opinion..the ending was a copout.

Dan

• Members

It was an amazing film. I completely get the ending..in that it's not an ending. Everyone's lives will go on and that's how the author writes. There are no endings in life until your dead, so he doesn't write them. It's not that I don't get the movie, or I have to have a nice tidy ending. Give me something to think about and grab onto. Don't leave me with a monologue on growing old and being passed by when a logical ending earlier on in the film would have made the point that much clearer. But that's just my opinion..the ending was a copout.

I can understand that. I think I wouldn't have been impacted by the film as much if it had been so tidy, though. That's why I don't see it as a cop-out. To each his own, ya know?

• Members

I can understand that. I think I wouldn't have been impacted by the film as much if it had been so tidy, though. That's why I don't see it as a cop-out. To each his own, ya know?

That's true. Not a copout..the movie made me think. Actually the movie was pretty straightforward but the ending made me think about what the film was about. I mean you go in thinking the main Character is Josh Brolin when it's not. The whole movie is about the sherriff..this is why he was still alive and why the movie ended on him speaking. I've gotten a lot from the movie but I honestly think they could have come up with something better. My idea may have been storybook, but something, anything would have been better than the way it ended I think.

Dan

• Members

Dan

Hmmm...I guess I will say I disagree. Something I dislike is propping up one's own opinion by referring to the opinions of others, so when you say 90% of the people in the theatre booed, I want to retort that people who are knowledgeable about the art of film have loved the movie at an overwhelming rate (91% on Metacritic, 95% on Rotten Tomatoes). Either way, who cares, because the only critic that matters to you is you, right?

Didn't I catch you saying you had the book on order in a post from a while back? If so, dig into it when it arrives and see if that changes your opinion. My main beef with the movie was that while it followed the book 90%, 100% would have been better. But that might have made for an even more disappointing ending to the movie.

• Members

Hmmm...I guess I will say I disagree. Something I dislike is propping up one's own opinion by referring to the opinions of others, so when you say 90% of the people in the theatre booed, I want to retort that people who are knowledgeable about the art of film have loved the movie at an overwhelming rate (91% on Metacritic, 95% on Rotten Tomatoes). Either way, who cares, because the only critic that matters to you is you, right?

Didn't I catch you saying you had the book on order in a post from a while back? If so, dig into it when it arrives and see if that changes your opinion. My main beef with the movie was that while it followed the book 90%, 100% would have been better. But that might have made for an even more disappointing ending to the movie.

That's cool, I can see your point. I wasn't trying to prop up my point but provide some foundation for what many people thought was a lackluster ending. I know this film is the critics baby but how often are critics remotely in touch with the populace? Very rarely. Don't confuse my thoughts though..I can appreciate the whole movie, including the ending; I just don't like it.

I do have the book on order because I feel you don't get the feel for the characters in the movie that you should.

Dan

Archived