Drum machines... help?

lowndown

• Members

I'm looking to do some live and recording stuff with just bass and drums, but I've given up trying to find the right drummer, so thought I'd get a drum machine!

I recently found out a band called The Kills (uk) use just a drum machine and a guitar. So I was wondering if anyone here had any experience or advice about drum machines, like do they have XLR's so I can run it to a PA, if not how would I link it up to a PA for live work?

• Members

Preface: I use a drum machine that I run with my feet when I do a duo gig with my band's guitar player....Ive tried out a great deal of them over the years, so I have lots of experience with them--these include machines by Boss, Zoom, Korg, E-Mu, etc..... I currently use a Boss DR-3 that has replaced my Alesis SR-16...

For LIVE Performance: Even though there are better sounding machines, the easiest to use for LIVE performance is still the ancient Alesis SR-16 because of the way the remote pedal system is setup combined with its Fill functions ( to pattern B with a single TAP, or roll back into pattern A with HOLD/doubles as TAP TEMPO when not started - cymbal crash on every 1 after FILL)...I wish Alesis would make a new one that has all the features of the SR-16 with better drums, sampling capability, and a backlit screen

After all these years, a new machine by Roland/Boss, the DR-3, is giving the Alesis a run for its money for Live Use.... Its not as user friendly live as the SR-16 ( but its damn close!), but it has other advantageous that the SR does NOT have ( one of which is a lighted backlit screen as well as intro patterns, alt patterns, alt kits, basslines, etc). I honestly believe that this machine was designed to compete with the SR-16s 15-year-old live performance ease of use

For STUDIO: You'll get a million answers so, IMHO - sampling/sample sequencing on a computer being the best, followed by a sampler or sampling drum machine....If you don't want to mess with sampling, samples, etc and just want a free-standing drum machine thats a studio quality bombshell and easy to program, look into the Boss DR-880

• Members

Preface: I use a drum machine that I run with my feet when I do a duo gig with my band's guitar player....Ive tried out a great deal of them over the years, so I have lots of experience with them--these include machines by Boss, Zoom, Korg, E-Mu, etc..... I currently use a Boss DR-3 that has replaced my Alesis SR-16...

For LIVE Performance: The easiest to use for LIVE performance is still the ancient Alesis SR-16 because of the way the remote pedal system is setup combined with its Fill functions ( to pattern B with a single TAP, or roll back into pattern A with HOLD - cymbal crash on every 1 after FILL)...I wish Alesis would make a new one that has all the features of the SR-16 with better drums, sampling capability, and a backlit screen

After all these years, a new machine by Roland/Boss, the DR-3, is giving the Alesis a run for its money for Live Use.... Its not as user friendly live as the SR-16 ( but its damn close!), but it has other advantageous that the SR does NOT have ( one of which is a lighted backlit screen as well as intro patterns, alt patterns, alt kits, basslines, etc)

For STUDIO: You'll get a million answers so, IMHO - sampling/sample sequencing on a computer being the best, followed by a sampler or sampling drum machine....If you don't want to mess with sampling, samples, etc and just want a free-standing drum machine thats a studio quality bombshell and easy to program, look into the Boss DR-880

Thanks, that's all great. I was actually looking at the Alesis SR-16, as I've seen one cheap, so may go for that. :wave:

• Members

Alesis SR-16's are ace. Mine died recently, and I looked into a suitable replacement, only to be told that they are still much loved more 10yrs later on.

Realistic drum sounds, easy to use and cheap as chips.
:thu:

Nice. My minds made up then, I'll get me an Alesis SR-16!

Archived