SVT-Pro3 Amp

Ole Man Blues

• Members

I saw your other thread and thought I'd mention that the 3pro does have a balanced line out (if you were thinking about getting the 3pro and svtdi).

I was thinking about upgrading to the SVT-Pro and ditch the SWR, I've had it for about 4 years.

The SVT-DI box was more or less curiosity and if their woth anything. Love and miss the tube sound though. Especially for Blues.........:cool:

OMB

• Members

I played one for about 3 years and liked it. It has a nice vintage tubey sound with good grunt. A lot of guys don't know how to properly use the boost feature on the EQ section. If you use that, it's plenty powerful.

Ultimately I preferred the control set-up of the Genz Benz GBE600 but I enjoyed using the Ampeg.

• CMS Author

That it is bro. I run an SVT 4-PRO which is 1600W. The 3 wouldn't be enough for my rig. I should have asked about the rest of your rig.

Recheck your specs. It's 1200w into 4ohms in bridged mono mode. I had a -4PRO and even calling that a 1200 watt amp was at best optimistic, at worst some bad marketing manipulation.

Running bridged into my 4-ohm PR-410HLF, my SVT-CL is louder. I'm not knocking the amp...it's a good solid performer with a lot of features. But it's not the loudest dog on the block.

• Members

That's a really common problem. Without using this, the amp performs like a 50w practice amp. When you do use it, it grunts wonderfully.

+1 It takes it from a 4cyl to a V8. There's a big difference. The other advantage of this particular approach is that you can almost get 2-channel functionality from the amp by switching the EQ in and out as needed if you don't need the extra power. It makes the amp a bit more versatile.

• Members

Honestly, if you were to get a new amp like that now I'd wait and get a Mesa Fathom.

It's 999 brand new and seems pretty similar to the SVT3-Pro but with better specs. The Fathom can do 600 Watts at 2 Ohms while the 3Pro can only do 450 Watts at 4 Ohms. The Fathom is similar in that it has a voicing switch, a tube preamp with a MOSFET power amp, a DI, etc but I think the fact that it has more power and could drive two 4 ohm cabs (like my 2x15 and 4x10 for example) is kinda neat.

edit: that said, if you can find a good deal on one, the 3Pro is nice and is what I currently use. I got mine for about 500 tho which alot less than brand new...

Archived