Maya Jazz Bass - Any opinions ?

hair of the dog

• Members

Wuzup...

My bass dude got a Maya Jazz Bass copy. It's Made in Japan, sounds very decent, although the frets are all {censored}ed up. The wood seems OK, it's no ply... Does anyone have or has anyone had any of these bass guitars ? Are they worth putting some better hardware in them ? I'll upload some pictures as soon as I get my camera.

• Members

I have a Maya. Not a J-copy, but beautifully crafted. Personally I think my ex lacks a bit of bottom and I'm still waiting for some Roto-Sound strings I was recommended by Jannda, one of the forumites (or a set of DRs, recommended by GuitarGod-something). Apart from that, it's a very nice instrument.They were made in Kobe, but the plant is defunct now. Rumour has it that it was the Kobe earthquake that put an end to it. If it's a refret- job you are planning go ahead if you are otherwise satisfied with it.

• Members
  • Members

IIRC, Maya basses were made by Ibanez in the '70s and '80s. Many were near carbon-copies of Fender and Gibson designs. The Lawsuit models are really nice basses---some are better quality than Fenders of the same era.

On the peghead of my Maya Artist-look-a-like it says; Maya Musical Instrument Co., Kobe, Japan.

Were they Ibanez or maybe a subsidiary ?

Wish I knew how to send pictures.

• Members

I really think you guys need to head to the store and just try out a bunch of stuff. We can recommend stuff all day, but it may or may not work for you.

Yeah only one problem... The customer service in Poland is horrendous... You can't grab a Fender Jazz or PJ and play it unless you have the $$$ in your wallet.

• Members

Yeah only one problem... The customer service in Poland is horrendous... You can't grab a Fender Jazz or PJ and play it unless you have the $$$ in your wallet.

Is that across the board at all shops, or just a few in your area? I would say to head to a better shop. There are a few here like that...they get no business.

Well...in that case, when you get the money to buy something, head to the store and try out everything in that price range. From what you've described so far, a P or P/J bass would most likely suit you guys best...but only your ears will tell you that.

Archived