"Once" denied

Kakona

• Members

Meh...it was ok. I'd hardly call it the "best reviewed"...regardless of what Rotten Tomatoes says.

Best movie of last year was "No Country for Old Men". In my opinion of course, which doesn't count since I'm not an academy member. :D

I also liked Juno a lot. Michael Clayton was good...though predictable. Haven't seen "There Will Be Blood" yet. "Ratatouille" was one of my favorites also as was "Eastern Promises"

Javier Bardem was nominated...which is great! Also Ellen Page was nominated for best actress. Also thought this was great. Good to see Viggo get a nomination. Anyone that can fight off two armed, fully clothed men while totally naked in a steam spa is ok in my book. :eek:

The other nominations which to me are more important, I won't bore everyone with (Cinematography, Art Direction, Editing) :D

• Members

Meh...it was ok. I'd hardly call it the "best reviewed"...regardless of what Rotten Tomatoes says.

Best movie of last year was "No Country for Old Men". In my opinion of course, which doesn't count since I'm not an academy member.
:D

I also liked Juno a lot. Michael Clayton was good...though predictable. Haven't seen "There Will Be Blood" yet. "Ratatouille" was one of my favorites also as was "Eastern Promises"

Javier Bardem was nominated...which is great! Also Ellen Page was nominated for best actress. Also thought this was great. Good to see Viggo get a nomination. Anyone that can fight off two armed, fully clothed men while totally naked in a steam spa is ok in my book.
:eek:

The other nominations which to me are more important, I won't bore everyone with (Cinematography, Art Direction, Editing)
:D

you need to see There Will Be Blood.

• Members

it doesnt look like "falling slowly" is up against any sort of stiff competition. so hopefully.... this means that they get to perform during the oscars, right?

im ok with once not getting nominated for a bunch of awards. there is nothing spectacular about the movie, which is why i thought it was spectacular. the things that the movie does well are not part of the criteria of the academy members (look at what did get nominated...). it would have been nice to see a score nomination (but not expected, since it didnt have a typical score), or at the very least, more than one song nomination (enchanted got 3? what gives?)

/rantish type thing

• Members

it doesnt look like "falling slowly" is up against any sort of stiff competition. so hopefully.... this means that they get to perform during the oscars, right?

im ok with once not getting nominated for a bunch of awards. there is nothing spectacular about the movie, which is why i thought it was spectacular. the things that the movie does well are not part of the criteria of the academy members (look at what did get nominated...). it would have been nice to see a score nomination (but not expected, since it didnt have a typical score), or at the very least, more than one song nomination (enchanted got 3? what gives?)

/rantish type thing

+1

I really liked Once. To me, the lack of nominations means nothing more than the lack of categories devoted to what made this movie great, which was the amazing chemistry between the two leads, the excellent interaction between the music and the story, and the anti-climax instead of a predictable guy-girl hookup as would be generally expected.

• Members

/rantish type thing

Yes, exactly. The Oscars aren't really about honoring excellence in filmmaking, rather they're about recognizing those movies that manage to conform themselves to the nominators' preconceived notions regarding what is "Oscar-worthy." I wasn't looking for a clean sweep by "Once", but a Foreign Film nomination would have been nice, or, like you said, at least one more song nom.

I say all this having loved "No Country For Old Men," but who didn't see that film getting a bunch of nominations with all the publicity they bought? I swear they were running commercials on Nick At Night.

• Members

Yes, exactly. The Oscars aren't really about honoring excellence in filmmaking, rather they're about recognizing those movies that manage to conform themselves to the nominators' preconceived notions regarding what is "Oscar-worthy." I wasn't looking for a clean sweep by "Once", but a Foreign Film nomination would have been nice, or, like you said, at least one more song nom.

I say all this having loved "No Country For Old Men," but who didn't see that film getting a bunch of nominations with all the publicity they bought? I swear they were running commercials on Nick At Night.

True, but "No Country" wasn't at all a movie that conformed themselves to any preconceived notion....unless Cormac McCarthy wrote it like that. Same with "Easter Promises" I would say.

Granted, the Oscars are pretty much an "old boys club"...but there have been surprises in the past. But then again, the Oscars aren't the only game in town anymore. There's Sundance, Telluride, Toronto...etc etc. The film festivals are now showcasing things that the Oscars would never touch. Sometimes the Oscars pick up on these things, other times not.

Just be glad that you yourself have found "Once". It doesn't need the Oscars to promote it. People will find it.

Archived