argh! i dropped my bass!!!

boscal45

• Members

I'm amazed by how people are so befuddled by Schallers. Lost the washer?...there's a store in pretty much every town that sells......washers. Can't get the nut to stay tight? That same store, or one that sells auto parts has stuff called Loctite. One drop and the nut will never loosen.

Be men. Figure things out and fix them.

I've thought of that, but it's more trouble than it's worth. I'd rather go with the Dunlops and not worry about than have to fix it later when it inevitably falls apart. I suppose you could just loctite it from the get go, but if that is necessary, it's seems more like a design flaw to me.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

BIG+1

on the Dunlop Straplocks.

Also now that you've dropped it you won't try to protect it as much while on stage and can really let loose with it. {censored} just do like Jaco and hold it by the headstock letting the body drag behind you. I've heard he used to take his bass with him everywhere like this.

• Members
Am I the only guy here that never had a problem with a strap coming off it's button?

I think you guys need better straps!

:poke:

+1

I've never once had strap come off and I've been playing since I was 13. Never had anything on a strap lock until two years ago either. And everyone needs to quit with all the Schaller hatin', how freaking hard is it to tighten a screw?:confused: I've had a set on a bass for two years and have never once had to retighten it. Never, and it's got a HUGE expensive bass hanging on it that I'm not the least bit worried about. Dunlops have their weakness too, the main being you're betting the whole bass on a micro sized ball bearing and spring in the shaft. If that doesn't work right the strap will slide right out. If the strap puts any kind of outward pull on the lock when hanging, like my Explorer does, then it will ALWAYS be a Schaller.

• Members

Lost the washer?...there's a store in pretty much every town that sells......washers. Can't get the nut to stay tight? That same store, or one that sells auto parts has stuff called Loctite. One drop and the nut will never loosen.

sure, i could have found another washer. but that wouldnt do me any good without the nut (looking back, i guess i didnt mention that the nut fell off as well). it was tight before the show, 45 minutes later it was gone.

"if $15 is too much to pay to keep your instrument on you, you deserve what's coming."

i totally agree. my first thought when i saw my bass falling wasnt "^&$*! my bass!", it was "%#$&! im such an idiot!"

it doesnt bug me that my bass fell, it bugs me that my bass fell because i was careless. i broke one of my bass rules and took both hands off my bass. straplocks or not (although straplocks would have obviously helped in this situation), it would not have fallen if i would have kept a hand on it.

• Members

it doesnt bug me that my bass fell, it bugs me that my bass fell because i was careless. i broke one of my bass rules and took both hands off my bass. straplocks or not (although straplocks would have obviously helped in this situation), it would not have fallen if i would have kept a hand on it.

That's the spirit!!! Totally blame yourself!!! :p

I mean, who in their right mind would actually expect a straplock to function as it's designed to?

• Members

the screw wasnt the problem, it was the washer and nut randomly falling off that was the problem

Actually, that's what I meant. Seriously though, come on! You tighten down that nut and it's good to go. Always. And so every once in a few months you retighten. If that's asking for too much effort, I just don't understand. Besides the Schaller cradle and button is WAY more secure than the Dunlop shaft/ball bearing.

• Members

Actually, that's what I meant. Seriously though, come on! You tighten down that nut and it's good to go. Always. And so every once in a few months you retighten. If that's asking for too much effort, I just don't understand. Besides the Schaller cradle and button is WAY more secure than the Dunlop shaft/ball bearing.

This has been discussed ad nauseum - I believe anecdotal evidence supports that the dunlops are far less problematic. I've NEVER in 20 years had a problem with them.

• Members

since it wasnt mentioned, about the cracks and preventing them from spreading, i wouldn't recommend super glue for that, I would personally brush on a little clear laquer, or in a pinch, some clear nail polish around the cracked areas. It will dry smoother than the superglue.

• Members

the screw wasnt the problem, it was the washer and nut randomly falling off that was the problem

sure, i could have found another washer. but that wouldnt do me any good without the nut (looking back, i guess i didnt mention that the nut fell off as well). it was tight before the show, 45 minutes later it was gone.

"if $15 is too much to pay to keep your instrument on you, you deserve what's coming."

i totally agree. my first thought when i saw my bass falling wasnt "^&$*! my bass!", it was "%#$&! im such an idiot!"

why keep both hands on the bass? if you have strap locks it not going anywhere? thats a weird rule?

• Members
Dunlops have their weakness too, the main being you're betting the whole bass on a micro sized ball bearing and spring in the shaft. If that doesn't work right the strap will slide right out. If the strap puts any kind of outward pull on the lock when hanging, like my Explorer does, then it will ALWAYS be a Schaller.

Exactly. Not to mention the little button can get pressed if you bump into something (happened to a buddy of mine on stage). Hard to imagine accidentally pulling out the locking pin on the Schaller system. And even if you do somehow manage to do that, the strap button will still sit in the cup.

It's hard to imagine how anyone could accidentally disconnect the Schaller lock. The only trick is to add a bead of thread lock when you first attach it to the strap. I don't see what the big deal is :idk:

• Members
I'm amazed by how people are so befuddled by Schallers. Lost the washer?...there's a store in pretty much every town that sells......washers. Can't get the nut to stay tight? That same store, or one that sells auto parts has stuff called Loctite. One drop and the nut will never loosen.

Be men. Figure things out and fix them.

:thu:

Yup - and having some blue Locktite around isn't the worst thing in the world for a bassist... I've used Schallers for many years, and never had any troubles with them... Personally, I don't care for how far Dunlops stick out... and I don't trust their ball bearing arraingment as much as I do Schaller's cup - although I've never seen one of them fail...

- georgestrings

• Members

Yep. Schallers have to be retightened quite regularily. Dunlops don't.

No, they don't - you just use a drop of blue locktite on them, and they'll stay put... same thing with Fender's saddle height screws that regularly get maligned... It's amazing how cheaply a $3 tube of locktite can be so useful....

- georgestrings

• Members

why keep both hands on the bass? if you have strap locks it not going anywhere? thats a weird rule?

when i had strap locks it wasnt that big of a deal. i just got in the habit of keeping at least one hand on whatever bass or occasional guitar i might be playing, so that if the strap slipped off of whatever i was playing, i would be able to catch it.

• Members

cool, thanks!

when i had strap locks it wasnt that big of a deal. i just got in the habit of keeping at least one hand on whatever bass or occasional guitar i might be playing, so that if the strap slipped off of whatever i was playing, i would be able to catch it.

suppose it fair if you dnt have strap locks.

• Members

You obviously don't move around as much as I do, then - I doubt I could get through a set without straplocks...

- georgestrings

I'm not one to stand still, but I've never had a problem with my strap slipping, and I still haven't put straplocks on my bass. Its gone 3 years and only falling once, and even that was when I accidentally pulled the strap on when I was reaching for something else. I guess I don't care all that much about bumps and dings anyways, so its never been a big deal to get straplocks.

• Members

You obviously don't move around as much as I do, then - I doubt I could get through a set without straplocks...

- georgestrings

Gotta use past tense dude.... (haven't been on stage in 20 years)

But....No I never had a problem and we even had some stage choreography. (dance rock ya know)

I actually beat up my stage basses quite a bit. I didn't swing em around my shoulder, like you see guys doing now.

I just never used a worn out strap.

Archived