argh! i dropped my bass!!!

boscal45

• Members

i was playing last night and took my hands off my bass, and the strap slipped off, and the bass fell on a hard wood floor and bounced. for a moment i thought i was going to pass out, but then i saw that it was still in one piece, and i decided to not panic until i saw what had happened.

luckily, it fell straight down, so the bottom edge under the tone controls (i play a '94 mim j) was the first part to hit. there is s pretty big area of crunched finish, with some cracks running from it. luckily the wood does not look cracked. there was also some cracking on the back edge above the bottom crack. would it be a good idea to cover those ares with super glue to prevent further cracking?

aside from cosmetic damage, everything else was fine. the neck did not touch the floor at all, so at most it was jarred by the fall. i did adjust the truss rod this morning (it needed it anyway due to the weather) so ill keep an eye on it over the next few days. the G string did pop out of the nut, but the nut is fine.

luckily, the worst that happened is that the bass is now starting to show its age. what sucks is that the strap had slipped a few times before, and i had other strap buttons to use, but i never got around to putting them on (until this morning.)

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

i was playing last night and took my hands off my bass, and the strap slipped off, and the bass fell on a hard wood floor and bounced. for a moment i thought i was going to pass out, but then i saw that it was still in one piece, and i decided to not panic until i saw what had happened.

luckily, it fell straight down, so the bottom edge under the tone controls (i play a '94 mim j) was the first part to hit. there is s pretty big area of crunched finish, with some cracks running from it. luckily the wood does not look cracked. there was also some cracking on the back edge above the bottom crack. would it be a good idea to cover those ares with super glue to prevent further cracking?

aside from cosmetic damage, everything else was fine. the neck did not touch the floor at all, so at most it was jarred by the fall. i did adjust the truss rod this morning (it needed it anyway due to the weather) so ill keep an eye on it over the next few days. the G string did pop out of the nut, but the nut is fine.

luckily, the worst that happened is that the bass is now starting to show its age. what sucks is that the strap had slipped a few times before, and i had other strap buttons to use, but i never got around to putting them on (until this morning.)

Dunlop Straplocks. :thu:

• Members

You don't wanna spend $15 on straplocks, but you don't wanna break your bass either? Ummm...duct tape? That'll work! :)

My basses don't go on a strap at all until there is a lock involved. I use the Dunlops as well, I'm not a fan of the Schaller...they loosen...what what is locking about that?

• Members

I have Dunlop straploks on the bass in my avatar and it certainly needs it! Its heavy and I'd be weary of using it on a strap without locks. I bought a set of black ones for my other bass too but I haven't fitted them yet, I think I need a shorter screw for the straplok on the top horn. Its at a weird angle and I think if I drilled the hole deeper I might go thru the horn. :eek:

• CMS Author

I'm amazed by how people are so befuddled by Schallers. Lost the washer?...there's a store in pretty much every town that sells......washers. Can't get the nut to stay tight? That same store, or one that sells auto parts has stuff called Loctite. One drop and the nut will never loosen.

Be men. Figure things out and fix them.

:thu:

• Members

I'm amazed by how people are so befuddled by Schallers. Lost the washer?...there's a store in pretty much every town that sells......washers. Can't get the nut to stay tight? That same store, or one that sells auto parts has stuff called Loctite. One drop and the nut will never loosen.

Be men. Figure things out and fix them.

:thu:

Or better yet, get the Dunlops and never fiddle with it again.

I'm with guitargod - if $15 is too much to pay to keep your instrument on you, you deserve what's coming. :p

• Members

You don't wanna spend $15 on straplocks, but you don't wanna break your bass either? Ummm...duct tape? That'll work!
:)

My basses don't go on a strap at all until there is a lock involved. I use the Dunlops as well, I'm not a fan of the Schaller...they loosen...what what is locking about that?

+1

Archived