WOT: Here's the reason why I say burglars should be shot to death - without hesitatio

georgestrings

• Members

I currently own a Beretta 92SB and a Ruger 10/22. In the past I've owned a Uzi Model A and a couple of Walthers. The Uzi was stolen from me and returned by the police a couple of years later. I think irrational people shouldn't own guns. If you ever do shoot someone this thread won't help you.

I have already shot a burglar in my lifetime - and there is absolutely nothing in this thread that would cause me harm, in the unfortunate event that I have to do it again...

It's funny that taking the stance that burglars should be shot, and giving a very real reason why - is viewed as being "irrational" - go figure...

- georgestrings

• Replies 367
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Wait a second here, there is a heck of a big difference between walking into someone's lit, unlocked house by mistake and forcing entry with intent to cause harm. In the guitarist story, the dude that shot him in the back with a shotgun as he was leaving was quite guilty of attempted murder (and I hope that's what he was convicted of). Someone who can't see the clear distinction between the two probably shouldn't own a gun.

I'm not a gun owner, but I fully support the right of responsible (key word) people to own firearms and use them to defend their homes. I would never fault someone who shot an intruder that broke in and was a threat to his/her family.

• Members

I have already shot a burglar in my lifetime - and there is absolutely nothing in this thread that would cause me harm, in the unfortunate event that I have to do it again...

It's funny that taking the stance that burglars should be shot, and giving a very real reason why - is viewed as being "irrational" - go figure...

- georgestrings

I've been burglarized and robbed more times that I can remember but I can't think of anything stolen worth shooting someone over.

• Members

Uhh, yeah - good luck with walking into homes, and hoping it's the right one...

- georgestrings

Perhaps I should add a few things:

I am all for guns. I own several and am a damn good shot.

My family has been burgled, with very valuable heirlooms stolen.

When someone walks into a house that isn't theirs, there is a MUCH greater chance that they are going to turn around and leave than there is that they are going to kill 3 of the occupants and burn the thing to the ground.

You see, there is a HELL of a big difference between a burglar and a confused out-of-towner. If you think that there isn't, and that everyone who ever accidentally enters a house that is not theirs deserves the death penalty, then we should put you in the loony bin.

You seem to be completely unable to comprehend any possible worlds in which such a situation of confusion happens, and you also seem to be excessively obdurate in your refusal to understand any sort of opposing viewpoint. I now see what collinwho was talking about.

Can you tell me what city you live in, so I can avoid it completely?

• Members

When someone walks into a house that isn't theirs, there is a MUCH greater chance that they are going to turn around and leave than there is that they are going to kill 3 of the occupants and burn the thing to the ground.

Where do you get that information from??? Offhand, I'd say that innocently walking into a house is far less common than actual burglaries - and *maybe* even less common than violent home invasions - although that's just a guess...

- georgestrings

• Members

I own guns and have a great respect for them. I have a greater respect for the person pointing one at me. Guns are just tools. A chainsaw can be just as dangerous - you just have to be a lot closer.

I was taught to be damn sure what you are aiming at before squeezing the trigger and be willing to drop the thing that you are aiming at.

My home defence includes an early warning system - two dogs outside and one inside. I'll carry a gun outside if the dogs bark 'cause I have horses and other things that might be desirable for someone else to own for free.

Inside, my weapon of choice is a 26" kid's baseball bat and the dog. I believe in protecting what's mine, but if the wife and kids aren't around, I might climb out a window and run away. I'm not worth much to my family dead and I don't own anything worth getting my ass killed for. :blah: 'night

• Members

I've been burglarized and robbed more times that I can remember but I can't think of anything stolen worth shooting someone over.

Frankly, I don't understand that way of thinking - so, you're just gambling on the chance that one of those times won't be violent to you or someone you love??? - and you're calling ME irrational???!!!

- georgestrings

• Members
It isn't that hard to do. Hell, I've done it before. Completely sober. In the middle of the day.

Say you're going to a friends house where you haven't been in a while (or have only been once), and when you get there, you knock and no one answers, so you open the door and walk in to see if they are home. You don't see anything you recognize, or a strange dog almost bites your nuts off, and you realize that your friend's house was actually one more house down, or the one across the street. Are you saying we should shoot everyone that does that?

I dont think you should be shot for that.

I will say where I come from, you dont walking into someone elses place.

I have never entered anyones apartment or house by "accident"
I have not entered peoples house that I knew even after a shout from an unseen person said, "come in its open" if I am not greeted at a door I am not going in.
and I was raised in an area that there was no fear of a gun being present. NYC gun laws benefit the criminal not the honest citizen.

I have a gun at hand and no fear of defending my family or myself. I will not shoot someone who opens the door and says " hello?" I live in a small town and people are very friendly here. but you better believe my hand is on it just incase it is a person looking to do me harm.

in the 7 years I have lived in the country no one has tried to open my door without knocking first.

3 people have knocked and acted strangely.

1 was asked to leave the property with my 85 pound dog barking and growling at them while I was holding her by her collar. ( they were looking for someone whos name I didnt recognize)

2-one was a young kid who didnt get home before dark and was scared and asked to call his mom ( weird little snot, sk8ter dude)

3-knock on door, I see no one through the storm door.I look through a reflection and see a dude standing close to the house sort of looking like he was hiding.
I opened another door his back was to gun drawn and pointed and said what do you want? he was a jahova....:rolleyes: I am like what the {censored} you doing standing to the side of the door like that... he said he didnt want to startle me by looking in the house.
I asked him if he needed a new set of shorts and if he would do that at the next house? he said no :idea:

point is you cant just shoot someone without being in imminent danger. there are a lot of stupid people who are not criminals. I am not going to risk going to jail for that. it is very difficult to gauge a situation that requires lethal force. Cops who are trained at this sometimes {censored} up. the chances of me actually needing to defend my life are slim to none. I say that as a person who grew up in NYC and working in some pretty {censored}ed up areas of the city.

• Moderators

Wait a second here, there is a heck of a big difference between walking into someone's lit, unlocked house by mistake and forcing entry with intent to cause harm. In the guitarist story, the dude that shot him in the back with a shotgun as he was leaving was quite guilty of attempted murder (and I hope that's what he was convicted of)M

No charges.

There is also a huge difference between burglary, arson, kidnapping and murder. That point is lost on some. Killing someone over burglary is just disgusting.

• Members

- georgestrings

It's not necessarily irrational, and in some situations, it's certainly an option.

However, not every situation is as cut and dried as you make it out to be, and that's what's getting under people's skin, I think. Kindness' scenario is a perfect example-while the guitar player was certainly in the wrong, the homeowner could have taken a couple seconds to see if he was a threat to life and limb before blasting him.

Life isn't binary, and shoot first, ask questions later isn't the solution in all cases.

• Members

I'd like to throw in that I walk dogs for money while I'm finishing up school and, while it doesn't happen all the time, at least once every two weeks I walk in to a client's house who forgot to call and cancel their appointment.

When that happens and I walk in without them expecting me, they are initially frightened as most of them have only met the owner of the service I work for and don't know what I look like. Most of the correspondence I have with the people I specifically take care of happens through written notes or phone calls; rarely in person.

I certainly don't think I should have to worry about getting blown away because someone forgot to call the dogwalker to tell me they didn't need a walk that day.

• Members

I'd like to throw in that I walk dogs for money while I'm finishing up school and, while it doesn't happen all the time, at least once every two weeks I walk in to a client's house who forgot to call and cancel their appointment.

When that happens and I walk in without them expecting me, they are initially frightened as most of them have only met the owner of the service I work for and don't know what I look like. Most of the correspondence I have with the people I specifically take care of happens through written notes or phone calls; rarely in person.

I certainly don't think I should have to worry about getting blown away because someone forgot to call the dogwalker to tell me they didn't need a walk that day.

Are you saying that you just walk into people's houses unannouced atleast once every other week??? If that's the case, then you've been extremely lucky...

- georgestrings

• Members

Wow.

I'm just saying that yours is an unusual arrangement - and if as you described, you've still been lucky that nothing has happened to you, yet... You have to admit, there's a big difference between someone who routinely allows strangers to access their home, and the average victim of a burglary who doesn't have such an arrangement...

- georgestrings

• Members

I'm just saying that yours is an unusual arrangement - and if as you described, you've still been lucky that nothing has happened to you, yet... You have to admit, there's a big difference between someone who routinely allows strangers to access their home, and the average victim of a burglary who doesn't have such an arrangement.

georgestrings

yup

Archived