WOT: Here's the reason why I say burglars should be shot to death - without hesitatio

georgestrings

• Members
Whatever works for you, bud - as for me, if someone breaks into my home, I'm shooting them...and I'm alright with any consequences that *might* arise because of it - although I'm sure you know that in nearly every case imaginable, the law sides with the homeowner...

Only problem with your approach, is exactly what happened to these nice people - are you really willing to risk your family's safety to make sure that an intruder isn't bent on victimizing you and yours??? What kind of twisted logic gives the benefit of the doubt to someone who has already broken into your home???

- georgestrings

Why should he have to explain it to you when you've already claimed that his logic is twisted?

You do what you want in your home, collinwho will do what he wants in his home, I'll do what I want in my home... what's the problem?:idk:

Now let's play some bass!:thu:

• Replies 367
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Whatever works for you, bud - as for me, if someone breaks into my home, I'm shooting them...and I'm alright with any consequences that *might* arise because of it - although I'm sure you know that in nearly every case imaginable, the law sides with the homeowner...

Only problem with your approach, is exactly what happened to these nice people - are you really willing to risk your family's safety to make sure that an intruder isn't bent on victimizing you and yours??? What kind of twisted logic gives the benefit of the doubt to someone who has already broken into your home???

- georgestrings

And this is why few people choose to actually voice dissent in a thread like this. . . You've already mischaracterized my opinion twice.

I am aware in most places that the law usually sides with the homeowner. I think it should be much more strict when they make mistakes than it generally is.

I would never give the benefit of the doubt to someone who has broken into my home. My doors are locked. I don't have a family. Even if I did, I would assess the situation and act the same way. My mindset would be (and is) to get to safety as quickly as possible.

Assuming I have a family (optimistic future here), and someone is trying to break into my front door, my first inclination is going to be to leave through the back door. Because that is likely going to be much safer for my family and me than getting into a gun fight with an unknown intruder. If shooting is the safest way to get out of the situation, then I would shoot (assuming I have a gun), but approaching the confrontation is generally not going to be safer than avoiding it altogether.

• Members

I've used a firearm to protect my property. I have no problems with people using lethal force to protect themselves and their families.

Gun control advocates have trouble getting past the obvious: Disarm the law-abiding citizens, and only criminals (and law enforcement officers) will have guns. Good luck on relying on the cops to protect you from an armed criminal...

• Moderators

I respect you, and your right to your own opinion - but I gotta ask - how the hell does someone walk into someone else's home by mistake??? If it was a matter of being so trashed that he didn't know what he was doing, then I have a hard time feeling sorry for him - after all, would you feel sorry for someone who killed themselves via drunk driving??? No difference between that and getting shot because you drunkenly broke into someone's home...

I'm sorry if that seems callous, but stupid sometimes does hurt...

- georgestrings

I posted it the last time we had this discussion. He was headed over to a bandmate's house he had never been to before. He got the house number mixed up, but the front light was on and the front door was open just as he was told. As soon as he took a few steps in he realized he was in the wrong place, apologized and turned to walk out. He got shot in the back with a shotgun and is messed up bad now.

I don't drink and don't have any sympathy for people that get themselves into trouble because they do. I do, however, make mistakes. Everyone does.

• Members

I respect you, and your right to your own opinion - but I gotta ask - how the hell does someone walk into someone else's home by mistake??? If it was a matter of being so trashed that he didn't know what he was doing, then I have a hard time feeling sorry for him - after all, would you feel sorry for someone who killed themselves via drunk driving??? No difference between that and getting shot because you drunkenly broke into someone's home...

- georgestrings

Big difference, and if you can't see it it really doesn't seem worth explaining. And around here, with all the townhomes and suburban track housing, I could definitely see someone accidentally walking into the wrong house without realizing it. Completely sober. In the middle of the day.

Hell, when I first moved into my current apartment, I accidentally walked into the neighbors one afternoon because I wasn't paying attention (I was looking at my mail) and I stopped one door short.

• Members

- georgestrings

It isn't that hard to do. Hell, I've done it before. Completely sober. In the middle of the day.

Say you're going to a friends house where you haven't been in a while (or have only been once), and when you get there, you knock and no one answers, so you open the door and walk in to see if they are home. You don't see anything you recognize, or a strange dog almost bites your nuts off, and you realize that your friend's house was actually one more house down, or the one across the street. Are you saying we should shoot everyone that does that?

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that if you think I should have been shot when I accidentally walked in my friend's neighbor's house, you are a colossal dumbass and I have lost all respect for you.

• Members

And this is why few people choose to actually voice dissent in a thread like this. . . You've already mischaracterized my opinion twice.

I am aware in most places that the law usually sides with the homeowner. I think it should be much more strict when they make mistakes than it generally is.

I would never give the benefit of the doubt to someone who has broken into my home. My doors are locked. I don't have a family. Even if I did, I would assess the situation and act the same way. My mindset would be (and is) to get to safety as quickly as possible.

Assuming I have a family (optimistic future here), and someone is trying to break into my front door, my first inclination is going to be to leave through the back door. Because that is likely going to be much safer for my family and me than getting into a gun fight with an unknown intruder. If shooting is the safest way to get out of the situation, then I would shoot (assuming I have a gun), but approaching the confrontation is generally not going to be safer than avoiding it altogether.

Please point out how I mischaracterized anything you posted... and as for your plan - bailing out the back door with a family is a pretty poor one...

- georgestrings

• Members

Please point out how I mischaracterized anything you posted... and as for your plan - bailing out the back door with a family is a pretty poor one...

- georgestrings

a single period works just fine. the 3 in a row all the time is kind of stupid.

• Members

It isn't that hard to do. Hell, I've done it before.

Say you're going to a friends house where you haven't been in a while (or have only been once), and when you get there, you knock and no one answers, so you open the door and walk in to see if they are home. You don't see anything you recognize, or a strange dog almost bites your nuts off, and you realize that your friend's house was actually one more house down, or the one across the street. Are you saying we should shoot everyone that does that?

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that if you think I should have been shot when I accidentally walked in my friend's neighbor's house, you are a colossal dumbass.

No, YOU were the dumbass for walking into a home that you weren't supposed to be in - sorry you're not bright enough to realize that... and yeah, if you walk into a home you have no business being in, you might get shot/bit/beaten, whatever - be smart enough to realize that, and don't do it...

- georgestrings

• Members
I posted it the last time we had this discussion. He was headed over to a bandmate's house he had never been to before. He got the house number mixed up, but the front light was on and the front door was open just as he was told. As soon as he took a few steps in he realized he was in the wrong place, apologized and turned to walk out. He got shot in the back with a shotgun and is messed up bad now.

Damn, that is effed up!:eek:

So what was the aftermath? As in, what happened when the cops came?

• Members
No, YOU were the dumbass for walking into a home that you weren't supposed to be in - sorry you're not bright enough to realize that... and yeah, if you walk into a home you have no business being in, you might get shot/bit/beaten, whatever - be smart enough to realize that, and don't do it...

- georgestrings

Yep, I've lost all respect for you. Good going.

I guess I can put someone on my ignore list now :D

• Members

- georgestrings

not_this_again_edited-1.jpg

• Members

Yeah, that'll really keep me from sleeping tonight...

- georgestrings

So I assume you've never made a mistake before, and have a perfect memory? If so, that is impressive. The last guy like that was named Jesus:idea:

• Members

- georgestrings

You stated that I would give the benefit of the doubt to someone breaking into my house. I wouldn't and I never said I would.

And as for your assessment of my plan, you have no idea how my theoretical house is laid out, and you have no idea where my theoretical family is within that house. I do know that the absolute safest thing for my family is to avoid any contact whatsoever with intruders. If we never come in contact with an intruder, he/she has no opportunity to harm us. In this theoretical situation, I am going to weigh all the options and choose what is the safest for my family. If there is no way to completely avoid the intruder, then and only then, they are confronted on my terms.

• Members

So I assume you've never made a mistake before, and have a perfect memory? If so, that is impressive. The last guy like that was named Jesus:idea:

Never said that - but I haven't EVER walked into someone's home by mistake - it isn't all that difficult to avoid, honestly... I HAVE been in that situation - and used a common sense approach - like KNOCKING, calling out, and waiting 'til someone came to the door - you *might* want to consider that train of thought...

- georgestrings

• Moderators
Damn, that is effed up!
:eek:

So what was the aftermath? As in, what happened when the cops came?

It's better to be the shooter than the shot. The shooter would have to pay bills and other restitution, but he has no money. I have as much love for the shooter as I do drunk drivers.

• Members

You come across as a nutcase just aching to shoot someone. People like you shouldn't own guns.

To an anti-gun nut, I'm sure it seems that way - although you probably don't think that anyone should own guns, right???

If I seem somewhat passionate about this subject, it's because I have been through two burglaries in my life - so this sort of thing strikes a nerve with me...

- georgestrings

• Members

Never said that - but I haven't EVER walked into someone's home by mistake - it isn't all that difficult to avoid, honestly... I HAVE been in that situation - and used a common sense approach - like KNOCKING, calling out, and waiting 'til someone came to the door - you *might* want to consider that train of thought...

- georgestrings

Is it really that hard for you to imagine someone saying "I won't be home when you get there, so just go on in and wait for me"?

Seriously dude. You need to practice some trigger finger control.:poke:

• Members

Is it really that hard for you to imagine someone saying "I won't be home when you get there, so just go on in and wait for me"?

Seriously dude. You need to practice some trigger finger control.:poke:

Uhh, yeah - good luck with walking into homes, and hoping it's the right one...

- georgestrings

• Members

To an anti-gun nut, I'm sure it seems that way - although you probably don't think that anyone should own guns, right???

If I seem somewhat passionate about this subject, it's because I have been through two burglaries in my life - so this sort of thing strikes a nerve with me...

- georgestrings

I currently own a Beretta 92SB and a Ruger 10/22. In the past I've owned a Uzi Model A and a couple of Walthers. The Uzi was stolen from me and returned by the police a couple of years later. I think irrational people shouldn't own guns. If you ever do shoot someone this thread won't help you.

• Members

You stated that I would give the benefit of the doubt to someone breaking into my house. I wouldn't and I never said I would.

And as for your assessment of my plan, you have no idea how my theoretical house is laid out, and you have no idea where my theoretical family is within that house. I do know that the absolute safest thing for my family is to avoid any contact whatsoever with intruders. If we never come in contact with an intruder, he/she has no opportunity to harm us. In this theoretical situation, I am going to weigh all the options and choose what is the safest for my family. If there is no way to completely avoid the intruder, then and only then, they are confronted on my terms.

"Not every person walking in to a home that isn't theirs is a burglar. Not every person who looks suspicious and walks into a home that isn't theirs is a burglar. Not every person who looks suspicious, walks into a home that isn't theirs and takes something is a burglar. I don't think I need to keep going."

Sounds an awful lot like "benefit of the doubt" to me... as for all your "weighing the options" during a burglary - good luck with that plan, too...

- georgestrings

Archived