WOT: Here's the reason why I say burglars should be shot to death - without hesitatio

georgestrings

• Members

http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/07/24/home.invasion.ap/index.html

CHESHIRE, Connecticut (AP) -- Two parolees with long criminal records were charged Tuesday with breaking into a doctor's home, forcing a hostage to withdraw cash from a bank and setting fire to the house several hours later.

art.mug.conn.state.jpg

Steven Hayes, 44, and Joshua Komisarjevsky, 26. have been charged with assault, kidnapping and arson.

Click to view previous image

1 of 3

Click to view next image

more photos

• Replies 367
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Same reason why I ridicule those who scoff at the notion of people defending their homes and families with their own firearms...

Lastly, things like this are a perfect argument for never abolishing capital punishment - there is NO good reason why those 2 scumbags should be allowed to live...

- georgestrings

• Members

:thu::thu::thu::thu::thu::thu:

Part of the reason I'm glad Texans don't have to "try to escape" when their lives and/or property are threatened. Sending folks like this an emphatic STOP is the only way to end it correctly.

Don't even try that "But we need to understand why.... :blah: :blah:"

• Members

I think it needs to be appropriately scrutinized whenever someone uses deadly force, but yes, there are times when it is justified beyond question. This would have been one of those times. Those dirtbag criminals deserved death, and now they do even more so.

There will always be detractors, and cases of people taking the law too far. For example, you can't blow away the Mormons who come knocking on your door, or the person mistaking your house for his/her friend's. There's blatant distinction between someone forcing entry into your house in the middle of the night and someone walking through an open front door and saying "hello... hello... is anybody home?" The idea of home defense will always be taken too far by rednecks and other such douchebags with a "Git offa mah property!!!" attitude, but that's no reason to disallow decent people to defend themselves.

• Members

I think it needs to be
appropriately
scrutinized whenever someone uses deadly force, but yes, there are times when it is justified beyond question. This would have been one of those times. Those dirtbag criminals deserved death, and now they do even more so.

There will always be detractors, and cases of people taking the law too far. For example, you can't blow away the Mormons who come knocking on your door, or the person mistaking your house for his/her friend's. There's blatant distinction between someone forcing entry into your house in the middle of the night and someone walking through an open front door and saying "hello... hello... is anybody home?" The idea of home defense will always be taken too far by rednecks and other such douchebags with a "Git offa mah property!!!" attitude, but that's no reason to disallow decent people to defend themselves.

Who you calling a Redneck? Them girl scouts looked like they were packin!!! :mad:

• Members

There was a home invasion last week in a suburb of the Twin Cities. Two thugs broke in and shot the homeowner to death. They've finally got suspects in the case.

Yeah, we had one here in Syracuse recently - the perps beat one occupant's ass, and bashed another's skull in with a framing hammer - then cleaned the place out... I'm thinking a gun would've been a better alternative than a telephone...

- georgestrings

• Members

The silence from the anti-gun types is pretty noteable - apparantly dialing 911 isn't the answer to every situation...

- georgestrings

Most probably aren't answering because there is no point. You have a couple years of history of not being able to even remotely understand a position contrary to your own. Hell, you've already characterized those who might disagree as "anti-gun types", when any reasonable person can see that there could be many reasons to disagree that wouldn't equal "anti-gun".

Personally, I say all should be able to defend their home as they see necessary. You should be ready for the consequences, though, if your attitude of "without hesitation" causes you to assess the situation incorrectly and murder an innocent person.

• Moderators

The silence from the anti-gun types is pretty noteable - apparantly dialing 911 isn't the answer to every situation...

- georgestrings

There is no one solution to every situation. If I had to choose one solution, I'd say that on balance I like how the world looks a lot better when homeowners aren't shooting at people in their houses. You and I aren't going to agree, so there isn't much of a point in saying it.

• Members

Most probably aren't answering because there is no point. You have a couple years of history of not being able to even remotely understand a position contrary to your own. Hell, you've already characterized those who might disagree as "anti-gun types", when any reasonable person can see that there could be many reasons to disagree that wouldn't equal "anti-gun".

Personally, I say all should be able to defend their home as they see necessary. You should be ready for the consequences, though, if your attitude of "without hesitation" causes you to assess the situation incorrectly and murder an innocent person.

There are no "innocent" burglars... and even if there were(which there are not) - do you really want to risk what these people went through to determine an intruder's true intentions???

Castle Doctrine is just plain common sense...

- georgestrings

• Members

There is no one solution to every situation. If I had to choose one solution, I'd say that on balance I like how the world looks a lot better when homeowners aren't shooting at people in their houses. You and I aren't going to agree, so there isn't much of a point in saying it.

Fair enough... although the fear of being shot is a STRONG deterrant for criminals - and I fail to see the downside to people defending their homes and families with the best means available...

- georgestrings

• Members

There are no "innocent" burglars... and even if there were(which there are not) - do you really want to risk what these people went through to determine an intruder's true intentions???

Castle Doctrine is just plain common sense...

- georgestrings

Not every person walking in to a home that isn't theirs is a burglar. Not every person who looks suspicious and walks into a home that isn't theirs is a burglar. Not every person who looks suspicious, walks into a home that isn't theirs and takes something is a burglar. I don't think I need to keep going.

I don't own a gun. I don't feel like I'm risking a thing.

Again, I am not "anti-gun", and I firmly believe that you should be allowed to defend your home with lethal force if you believe it is necessary, but I also believe that there should be very strict consequences if the situation is assessed incorrectly by someone who chooses to use deadly force.

• Moderators

Fair enough... although the fear of being shot is a STRONG deterrant for criminals - and I fail to see the downside to people defending their homes and families with the best means available...

- georgestrings

In that moment, there is little downside. As a general rule, bringing guns into homes and civilian life has many effects for which I would prefer to avoid. If the analysis is limited to the moments when the intruder is in the house there are many pros on your side (though ask bpocall's guitarist how much it sucks to be shot in the back by a homeowner when he accidentally walked into the wrong house - his life will never be the same and he had ZERO ill intention, just made a mistake). However, if the analysis is expanded to all times, the number of cons overwhelms the pros in my book. Obviously not yours and I don't mind that. I don't make the rules, I just have my opinions.

• Members

Not every person walking in to a home that isn't theirs is a burglar. Not every person who looks suspicious and walks into a home that isn't theirs is a burglar. Not every person who looks suspicious, walks into a home that isn't theirs and takes something is a burglar. I don't think I need to keep going.

I don't own a gun. I don't feel like I'm risking a thing.

Again, I am not "anti-gun", and I firmly believe that you should be allowed to defend your home with lethal force if you believe it is necessary, but I also believe that there should be very strict consequences if the situation is assessed incorrectly by someone who chooses to use deadly force.

Whatever works for you, bud - as for me, if someone breaks into my home, I'm shooting them...and I'm alright with any consequences that *might* arise because of it - although I'm sure you know that in nearly every case imaginable, the law sides with the homeowner...

Only problem with your approach, is exactly what happened to these nice people - are you really willing to risk your family's safety to make sure that an intruder isn't bent on victimizing you and yours??? What kind of twisted logic gives the benefit of the doubt to someone who has already broken into your home???

- georgestrings

• Members

In that moment, there is little downside. As a general rule, bringing guns into homes and civilian life has many effects for which I would prefer to avoid. If the analysis is limited to the moments when the intruder is in the house there are many pros on your side (though ask bpocall's guitarist how much it sucks to be shot in the back by a homeowner when he accidentally walked into the wrong house - his life will never be the same and he had ZERO ill intention, just made a mistake). However, if the analysis is expanded to all times, the number of cons overwhelms the pros in my book. Obviously not yours and I don't mind that. I don't make the rules, I just have my opinions.

I respect you, and your right to your own opinion - but I gotta ask - how the hell does someone walk into someone else's home by mistake??? If it was a matter of being so trashed that he didn't know what he was doing, then I have a hard time feeling sorry for him - after all, would you feel sorry for someone who killed themselves via drunk driving??? No difference between that and getting shot because you drunkenly broke into someone's home...

I'm sorry if that seems callous, but stupid sometimes does hurt...

- georgestrings

Archived