String rattle on bass when tuning down

tomresurrection

• Members

Question... is this the gauge of the strings? (being to light) or the bass needing a setup?

Both play a part.

Detuned strings vibrate in a longer arc - so you need more neck relief (loosen the trussrod) to allow them to vibrate without hitting frets.

Heavier gauge strings won't feel and sound as soggy, and can help to eliminate buzz.

Also your attack on the strings contributes to buzzing as well - if you're really digging in physically then you're gonna get a lot of buzzing.

This is why there is no such thing as a one size fits all setup - you have to find the right combination that suits your playing style.

If open strings are rattling, you'll have to try heavier strings. If that fails, then you'll need to get a new nut with more shallow grooves (so the strings ride higher).

I'm assuming of course that your saddles are setup at a reasonable height...You might wanna try raising them too.

Best thing is measure and set your neck relief first, then use the saddle heights to fine tune individual strings (to eliminate buzzing)

• Moderators

You guys are both {censored}ing 40+ jackasses who post on these forums because your wife wont ride your little cocks. Keep wankin in your room boys, ahh i mean wackin.

Bwahahaha. They are both good guys that knew you'd get the right answer so they didn't feel bad about f'in with you. :thu:

• Members

wades_keys thanks for the in depth info. I believe now that it's just that it needs thicker strings. Only when hitting open notes does the bass have a rattle, when fretting notes there seems to be nothing. In standard E the bass was setup beautifuly. I just got it on Ebay being that i'm a big 'Cave In' fan and the bassist had used it his whole career.

• Moderators

Anytime you change tunings or string type you should set the bass up for optimal playing. A slight detuning will only require a slight tweak. In your case, downtuning a step or two throws the setup off in one direction. Increasing the tension in the strings (often by increasing the gauge) nudges the setup back the opposing direction. Getting an ideal setup may still require a little effort. If you PM your email address I will send you a setup guide I wrote.

• Members

I'm still curious as to the best way to get my hands on one of your basses. I'm also curious to see your most recent works. your web page doesn't keep me up to date.
:)

Once I've delivered on 3 basses that are WAYYY TOOO long over due, I have a bolt on that will land in Chicago for a few days methinks.

I suck (sort of intentionally) at process pictures as I am still uncertain how much of what I am doing is unique enough to protect - that said I expect to have a gallery with 9 new pieces to show off by March or so.

FWIW - the front page of my site may tip you to things comin' 'round.

• Moderators

Once I've delivered on 3 basses that are WAYYY TOOO long over due, I have a bolt on that will land in Chicago for a few days methinks.

I suck (sort of intentionally) at process pictures as I am still uncertain how much of what I am doing is unique enough to protect - that said I expect to have a gallery with 9 new pieces to show off by March or so.

FWIW - the front page of my site may tip you to things comin' 'round.

I expected you'd have something out for the show in March. I look forward to seeing what you've been working on. I'd also love to get a test run on your instrument that may pass through town. Let me know if that is a possibility.

Send me a PM or give me a call if you want to talk more about protection.

• Members

I'm curious too

Knuckle_Head,

Can you give us your primer on how you think through string tension?????

Between you & Kindness, my shortscale is no longer rattling in open position.

More direct to tomressurection's topic:

Actually ... as I think it through, my experience may not be relevant.

1. I tune my basses down a whole step. Rattling strings have never been a problem on the 34" scale basses.

2. On the 30" shortscale, open strings were rattling, and Kindness diagnosed the problem as a string tension issue; the relief and string height were fine. However, the strings were so floppy & needed much more room to move.

But we had another problem: the bridge had also been replaced and required a significant neck tilt.

So, we weren't just dealing with a change in tuning; there was a lot more that was going on.

Perhaps tomressurection is being advised to adjust his trussrod, but my case we never touched the trussrod; we had to take the whole neck off several times to shim it.

• Members

Primer? Hhmmm...

I look for tension relationships based on tuning - scale length is largely irrelevant. It will always be a very subjective, personal thing but on average what I've noticed feels good to most is a relationship from low to high of no more than 10 to 12 pounds difference from low to high and about 3 or 4 pounds difference from string to string, decreasing tension as the pitch drops.

BTW - the tuning posts on Fenders tend to have the largest diameters. Sorry I never got back to you on that, Mango

Archived